S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help, strange noise coming from engine

Old 01-06-2005, 05:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jeffbrig,Jan 6 2005, 12:46 AM
My money's with CoralDoc. A few years ago I had an Integra that developed a chirp when shifting, very much like what Karl describes. Had the belt replaced and it went away.
Great, I'll ask the dealer to check that at my next oil change. Heh-heh, I think my service advisors get annoyed when I basically diagnose my car's problem before I take it in to have it repaired!
Old 01-06-2005, 06:53 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by CoralDoc,Jan 6 2005, 05:10 AM
As always, you are correct . I was in "Miata mode" since I am currently addressing the same issue with the alternator drive belt on the Miata.
Not always. And as always, Doc, your contributions here are most valuable and appreciated.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 8 Likes on 4 Posts

So we still don't know where this noise is coming from? I've driven a number of '00 and '01's that make this noise. Mine has made it on a daily basis for about four years now. Probably nothing to be worried about but I'd sure like to know what's causing it.
Old 01-06-2005, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Oz2,Jan 4 2005, 05:59 PM
I did a search for this and nothing seemed to pinpoint what this sound might be. My car is driving fine, but when I push the gas mainly in 1 and 2 and when Im in 6 and push the gas harder it will make this loud chirping sound.

Its hard to explain its like a high pitched chatter noise, my car is a 00 with about 75k on it. I've had no problems just wondering what this odd noise is. I thought it was my bearings in my clutch but I replaced both but still have noise. I also have aem cold air intake.

Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Gregg
maybe it's just the sound of the engine (esp pronounced when the car is cold)....it sounds like ticking.. is this the noise you're talking about?
Old 01-07-2005, 03:40 PM

Originally Posted by Oz2,Jan 4 2005, 05:59 PM
I did a search for this and nothing seemed to pinpoint what this sound might be. My car is driving fine, but when I push the gas mainly in 1 and 2 and when Im in 6 and push the gas harder it will make this loud chirping sound.

Its hard to explain its like a high pitched chatter noise, my car is a 00 with about 75k on it. I've had no problems just wondering what this odd noise is. I thought it was my bearings in my clutch but I replaced both but still have noise. I also have aem cold air intake.

Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Gregg
It's your intake, I actually like it and I know its the intake because it used to make this sound in my hatch when I had intake.
Old 01-07-2005, 03:56 PM

I'm getting a mental image of Johnny Carson with a turbin on his head.

I wish my technician could be so sure about things.

Old 01-09-2005, 07:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Clovis,Jan 7 2005, 01:16 AM
So we still don't know where this noise is coming from? I've driven a number of '00 and '01's that make this noise. Mine has made it on a daily basis for about four years now. Probably nothing to be worried about but I'd sure like to know what's causing it.
Hi All,

It is the throttle body.

I had mine replaced under warranty (my Dutch dealer/service place is the greatest!) and this eliminated the noise.

At first we took a stab at degreasing the throttle valve, but the sound was still there. After replacement it was all gone, but now about ten thousand miles further the noise (very faintly) seems to be coming back.

The mechanic that pinpointed the problem initially said he had similar experiences with some Type-R models available in Europe.

I hope this is helpfull.

Best regards,

Siepel
Old 01-09-2005, 07:35 PM
Oz2

Well I replaced the serpentine belt and it is still there. I re-oiled the filter and its still there. I dont like the noise at all lol. Its not ticking its like a loud ass cricket. It might be the throttle body but I dont think im going to worry about changing it out.
Old 01-10-2005, 03:45 AM
Community Organizer

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

This is how I found mine. And it is your intake btw.
Crank the car, pop the hood, go to the front. Grab the throttle and give it some gas and listen to the intake... you'll hear it. The closer you get to the opening of the intake the clearer it will become. Remove the lid on the stock airbox and you'll really hear it.

BTW, I hate this noise. It's right in that sweet spot for normal acceleration around town but sounds like a '91 Tercel with a bad belt....sucks..
I took mine to Honda for it. They said it was a charactoristic of Honda's high rev performance engines( as in the ITR which undoubably has the same issue sometimes)
Hope this helps.
Old 01-10-2005, 06:13 AM

Does this happen around 4,000 rpm or throughout the range?

Quick Reply: Help, strange noise coming from engine