S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help, strange noise coming from engine

Old 01-04-2005, 04:59 PM
Oz2

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help, strange noise coming from engine

I did a search for this and nothing seemed to pinpoint what this sound might be. My car is driving fine, but when I push the gas mainly in 1 and 2 and when Im in 6 and push the gas harder it will make this loud chirping sound.

Its hard to explain its like a high pitched chatter noise, my car is a 00 with about 75k on it. I've had no problems just wondering what this odd noise is. I thought it was my bearings in my clutch but I replaced both but still have noise. I also have aem cold air intake.

Any help or suggestions would be great.
Thanks
Gregg
Old 01-04-2005, 05:45 PM

Does it sound sort of like the wear indicators on the brakes? My '01 with 47k is making that noise- thought it was the brake pads but dealer says the pads look OK.
I've had a hard time determining whether the noise is coming from the front of the car or th rear, which is why I haven't posted the question here yet. It's not very loud, I have to strain to hear it.

Then I thought it only happened when the engine was cold, but now I've noticed it makes the noise when the car is warm- usually I notice it right after I shift.

Shift- light squeal- shift- light squeal- and so on. Doesn't seem to matter how much throttle I'm using, it will even make the noise sometimes at a constant speed.

I was planning on taking the car to the dealer when the noise becomes loud enough for a technician to actually hear it. Maybe I'll get some use out of my Honda Care.
Old 01-04-2005, 06:22 PM

Maybe its your intake? I know my car has this high pitched noise sometimes when I push the throttle...I also had this noise when I had my old CRX after dropping in a cold air intake...
Old 01-04-2005, 08:08 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My S has this sound (whistling) when accelerating around 3k RPM with certain throttle input. It was accentuated after installing a K&N air filter. I purchased K&N sealing grease to put around the filter where it mates to the intake, this made it even louder. So yes, as suggested above it is likely the intake.

This is a normal characteristic of the S and has been discussed here before.
Old 01-05-2005, 12:24 AM

Try cleaning your air filter and when re-installing it, smear a little dab of grease on the sealing surface. You might be hearing a whistling noise coming from high velocity air being forced through air leaks in your intake tract when you give it a lot of throttle. At any rate, make sure your intake is well sealed.
Old 01-05-2005, 02:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Another possible source of "chirping" sounds is the serpentine belt. Check the tension and adjust if necessary.
Old 01-05-2005, 07:00 AM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

The serpentine belt has an auto-tensioner. There is no adjustment. You either must replace the belt if it's making noise or replace the tensioner if it's making noise.
Old 01-05-2005, 10:29 AM
Oz2

Thanks guys I dont think its the brakes. Im going to put stock air intake back on and see if that helps but im going to clean the filter first to see if that helps any. If not I will check that belt. Thanks for your help and I will let everyone know what I find.
Thanks
Old 01-05-2005, 08:46 PM

Received 100 Likes on 64 Posts

My money's with CoralDoc. A few years ago I had an Integra that developed a chirp when shifting, very much like what Karl describes. Had the belt replaced and it went away.
Old 01-06-2005, 03:10 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xviper,Jan 5 2005, 11:00 AM
The serpentine belt has an auto-tensioner. There is no adjustment. You either must replace the belt if it's making noise or replace the tensioner if it's making noise.
As always, you are correct . I was in "Miata mode" since I am currently addressing the same issue with the alternator drive belt on the Miata.

Quick Reply: Help, strange noise coming from engine