S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP!?! Strange Electrical Issue

Old 09-23-2008, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP!?! Strange Electrical Issue

So I went out to my love this morning and put the key in the ignition, and everything lit up, stereo turned on, radar detector beeped. I calmly pressed the start engine button and the whole electrical system died. No audible click (though it could have been there) no turn over.

So I popped the hood and immediately the electrical system came back on and I could start the car. Drove twenty miles to work, shut her down and tried again, same exact thing, except when I popped the hood, it didn't change a thing. After dropping the hood with a feeling of being defeated, I tried one more time, and it started right up. Turned her off, and tried again, and it worked.

I was worried that the battery terminal post is grounding itself on some part of the car but the positive terminal is covered and there is no wear through on the hood insulation, there isn't even a mark of pressure from rubbing on a terminal.

I don't want this to be a daily thing simply for the frustration of recreating my settings on my stereo.

I would have to believe that this has happened to someone before. What should I do?

Hendeu
Old 09-23-2008, 10:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Before you start replacing parts on your love, you might think about taking the battery to an auto parts store to have them check the battery. At least if you have the battery checked and it checks out, you have one less thing that could be causing your issue. When you put your battery back in your car, it might be worth it to buy some battery terminal cleaner and clean the battery posts and the cables. You might also consider getting some of that battery terminal protector spray and applying it. If you still think the positive battery terminal is grounding out on the hood, you could try one of those rubber boots that cover the battery cable and the batter terminal. If none of those things fix the issue I would next look at the starter. If you check the starter and it's good too, I would search for a loose ground or moisture buildup. Hope some of this helps.
Old 09-23-2008, 10:23 AM

Yea, it sounds like an intermittent failure now...which if left untouched, could turn into complete failure.

Just think logically and go in order ^ good steps..

These are the toughest problems to find because they can be tricky to recreate, and when it all of a sudden works, you wonder whats different than before.

Do you park in a garage? Check for mice under the hood? My friend had that happen once, they chewed through some wires, exposing them, and he had no idea.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:20 PM

Nate has a really good point. Squirrels chewed up my friend's 94 Supra, it required extensive repair to the electrical system. The good news was he had a ton of nuts and acorns. Mice had chewed threw the spark plug wires on a van I had that I didn't drive for a little while. In these two instances it was obvious what had happened because of all of the droppings, grass, fur, etc. were right in front under the hood. But, it sounds like you may have to do some searching.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:15 PM

I'd say check the terminals and make sure you're getting good contact. Try tugging on them while the ignition is on and see if it resets. My guess is it's probably a bad battery since it cuts out when it see's the load of the starter.
Old 09-23-2008, 07:35 PM

Somewhere on the posts I rad that S2k does get a bad Start button every once in a while. that could be your problem right there.