S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help with soft top installation

Old 10-10-2019, 11:08 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help with soft top installation

Hello s2ki,
I bought a soft top replacement off ebay. The listing was titled "Fits: Honda S2000 2002-2009 Convertible Soft Top & Heated Glass Window Black TW
LIFETIME WARRANTY - 30 Day Money Back - OEM Material
", seller was named Diamondmall. The soft top seems good quality, but I ran into some issues probably due to lack of experience.
My car was an 02, but I can tell that the old top was messed with. I think they converted it to a glass window.
I asked the seller these questions already, but he is just a middle man.

1. One of the steps uses rubber cement to glue down the front two corners of the soft top to the frame (towards front of car). I can not find anything strong enough to get it to stay (the new top is super tight). Looks like the original used special two sided tape, so I tried carpet tape, but that failed. Is there anything else I can use?

2. There is piping that follows the edge of the windows, down into the main drain. This piping has extra length on the drain end, and the instructions say to tuck it in, but I can not find any place to tuck it in. Does anyone know where to tuck it in?

3. Three pairs of straps they gave me:
a. one plain elastic, seems to be used in all s2000 soft top setups
b. one elastic and one non-elastic strap sewed together
c. one elastic and two non-elastic straps sewed together.
does anyone know what possible combinations these straps are usually used? I can't just go by the year because my top has been messed with before, and I am not sure if they did the straps right. If I am not able to get any more info on this, I will just install the type 'a' straps.
Old 10-11-2019, 07:04 AM
Member (Premium)

Received 1,251 Likes on 1,092 Posts

There's a section in the Honda Service Manual regarding replacing the roof. There's a link to it here somewhere. Note the manual does not have a photo of a Japanese girl in a bikini on the cover. This also covers patching the roof for that repair.

The glass rear window with defogger was standard starting with the 2002 model year.

I recall contact cement was used to secure the front corners of my roof to the frame. Rubber cement us used for scrapbooks and designed to peel off.

My installer removed the seats and most of the plastic interior panels to install the new roof. Severe leaking will occur if the installation is bungled. The reason I had mine professionally installed. This isn't an MGB where it all just snaps or pop rivets in place in an hour.

With the fabric off there's just the one set of straps riveted to

the frame so look at what you removed to see what needs to go back on. Frame looks like this:

-- Chuck

Last edited by Chuck S; 10-12-2019 at 04:13 AM.
The following users liked this post:
janders111 (10-11-2019)
Old 10-11-2019, 08:01 AM

lollll ok I will pick up some contact CEMENT! Thank you! Yea I think those other straps sewed together are for other years.
Old 10-11-2019, 10:40 AM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 45 Likes on 39 Posts

Hi,

You may want to inspect the convertible frame. See comment by TT Martin in the following S2ki link "file down the weld fragment on the hinge pin...."

http://s2000.com/forums/new-s2000-co...-problems.html

Here is the replacement link.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-ta...ns-top-448840/

Good luck!

Old 10-11-2019, 12:56 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Forums/North America-Central/North Texas/S2000 Top Replacement

Forums/Under the Hood/ Blue Stickies at Top of Forum/FAQ

FAQ — Body stuff —-Robbins glass top install and OEM Top Install

Nice links by Stock as well; thanks for #2 Stock
Utah
P.S. E6000 is the best adhesive IMHO; done several tops. Available at craft stores (Michaels).
Old 11-12-2019, 09:35 AM

UPDATE
Thank you for all the replies and pics. I installed the straps as shown, and picked up some contact cement.

After dry fitting, the glass window drags on the roll bars, which I thought was strange, so I opened another thread here

After messing around with the new contact cement I got from walmart, I feel it is not going to be strong enough, so based off my research, I am going to try out some 3m trim adhesive (sometimes called gorilla snot).