S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help removing intake manifold

Old 12-04-2007, 12:14 PM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/
Old 12-04-2007, 12:18 PM

"I installed mine by myself over the weekend and I am glad it is over, With the exception of a few cuts and scratches it went pretty well NOTE: I followed the instructions to the letter and after I torqued to the 22 lbs. I did my cooling mods at the same time as the gasket (thermo switch, thermostat) and decided to check the torque one more time and maybe a half hour had past since I torqued to 22 lb, The manifold bolts had loosened to about 15 lbs, I retorqued again to 22 lb and I will check them this weekend another time, I did not use lock-tite as the instructions I was using did not say to use it! I believe this gasket does compress slightly so check and recheck your torque after some time! if it continues to loosen I will remove the bolts and use lock-tite as Shinji had suggested!
Nick "
Old 12-04-2007, 01:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If there was a coolant leak issue as a result of installing the Hondata IMG Hondata would have issued some sort of corrective action. The fact that they haven't, coupled with the fact that thousands upon thousands of Hondas/Acuras have this mod and aren't experiencing any problems, leads you to believe there isn't an issue other than installation related.
Old 12-04-2007, 01:32 PM

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Dec 4 2007, 02:29 PM
If there was a coolant leak issue as a result of installing the Hondata IMG Hondata would have issued some sort of corrective action. The fact that they haven't, coupled with the fact that thousands upon thousands of Hondas/Acuras have this mod and aren't experiencing any problems, leads you to believe there isn't an issue other than installation related.
that's very good logic...

but what about the multiple people that have concluded that loctite is required for "proper" installation, due to the fact that on some occassion there are instances of coolant leak with the Hondata IMG, and the corrective action for those instances has proven to be the application of loctite?
Old 12-04-2007, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Dec 4 2007, 03:32 PM
that's very good logic...

but what about the multiple people that have concluded that loctite is required for "proper" installation, due to the fact that on some occassion there are instances of coolant leak with the Hondata IMG, and the corrective action for those instances has proven to be the application of loctite?
Let me put it like this: Doug, the co-owner of Hondata, personally installed the IMG on my S2000. He didn't use loctite nor any special bolts. I have had zero issues.
Old 12-04-2007, 02:28 PM

Received 1,381 Likes on 828 Posts

Leave that intake right in place with everything attached. only remove what's needed to access the bolts, and pull the intake to the drivers side 1.5 inches to clear the studs:

Old 12-04-2007, 02:32 PM

Concerning the Hondata IMG:

http://www.hondata.com/manuals/heats...eatshield.html

Torque the nuts to the normal factory specifications from the center of the manifold to the outside and then re-torque them after 2 hours of driving (for cars with a supercharger, torque to about 25% more since they will be inaccessible after installation is complete).
Old 12-04-2007, 03:34 PM

Originally Posted by 2QYK4U,Dec 4 2007, 03:04 PM
Let me put it like this: Doug, the co-owner of Hondata, personally installed the IMG on my S2000. He didn't use loctite nor any special bolts. I have had zero issues.
look...you've stated your point several times...and the logic is always the same.

there are installations without loctite without problems. fine.

so what is it going to take for you to acknowledge that there are several installations of the IMG, including a DIY author that specifies incremental torque specifications (see maruccio's write-up...and see if you have an issue with it)...where there ARE instances of small coolant leak OF WHICH the solution is loctite? can you acknowledge that this could also be an issue?

fyi...maruccio did not advocate the loctite until after SEVERAL installations...in which loctite was the solution.

do you have an issue with maruccio's DIY installation?

http://www.s2000.org/mods/insulator/
Old 12-04-2007, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by jyeung528,Dec 4 2007, 05:34 PM
so what is it going to take for you to acknowledge that there are several installations of the IMG, including a DIY author that specifies incremental torque specifications (see maruccio's write-up...and see if you have an issue with it)...where there ARE instances of small coolant leak OF WHICH the solution is loctite? can you acknowledge that this could also be an issue?
I acknowledge the fact that installations are not always performed to manfacturer recommendations and issues arise. Here is an example of one issue, while another example would be ARP head studs--some S2000 owners have experienced headgasket failures when using ARP head studs. Are the ARP head studs themselves the culpret? No. Improper installation is the cause.
Old 12-04-2007, 03:56 PM

^in reply to that...i'll ask you this.

maruccio has clearly and spefically listed out step by step installation instructions for the IMG and one can confidently assume that he follows those installation steps that he wrote himself.

I'll assume you have no issues with his installation instructions...if you do, you haven't stated any. so please do.

now...assuming the installation (of which you repeatedly say is the culprit) written by maruccio is followed by maruccio himself...and performed several times...and there are isntances of coolant leak...and loctite has proven to be the solution, HOW can you keep saying it's an installation issue?

Quick Reply: Help removing intake manifold