S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP! RED HOT CAT!

Old 12-12-2005, 03:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i belive he said he milled the head to have warpage taken away.

I would tend to agree with xviper, even though he seems to be in a bad mood. Most likely you f-ed up your gasket install.

About the cat getting hot, true the cat is supposed to run at high temps for it to work properly, but chances are that you probably clogged it with all the oil or whatever you are burning. And that might have lead to the cat glowing due to the retriction from clogging, and the more mass due to clogging which can now retain more heat.

If i was you I would make sure all your coolant lines are routed properly and everything is hooked up right, and then run the car without the cat for a while.

just so you know, blowby does not lead to oil going into the cylinders, blowby is the innabilty of the sealing ring to contain the combustion process, which leads to some of the gasses venting to the crankcase. Unlesss youcourse your rings are so ****ed that blowby in one cylinder is causing oil to go into others. But in that case you would have noticed really bad compression numbers.

Also your compression numbers are quite a bit low. Is the motor stock with a supercharger? or did you do somthing to lower the compression?
Old 12-12-2005, 05:24 PM

The motor wasn't stock s/c i did it. I hope i din't f up my head gasket install. My closet skeleton is that i didn't plain the block, just the head. The hollow cat is on and my two o2 sensors hooked up, but she still is slow. I got a signal p0141, an o2 sensor heater malfunction. So i'll check my bosch connections. Hopefully that means still too rich.
Some new headach arose. Apparently i have Comptech's first gen s/c with alum brackets w/no bushings. My vtec bracket has a leaky crack at the top that goes all the way through passed the grommet. Comptech doesn't sell the bracket and the ne set of brackets is five big ones. I am at a loss. All from a pep boys high temp hose i drain the coolant, overheat fry the cat, both o2's, and now my car runs like shize! The worst part was i had a glimpse of glorious sunshine for the first 5 min test drive, it wasn't till after the 40 min idle she was slow and boggy.
I'm bou to disconnect the blower and wait for some funds or a better idea for that bracket and start troubleshooting from there. In the helms, the first powerloss troubleshoot is fuel pressure. So that's next. I really wanna see some nast numbers just so everything makes sense!
Old 12-12-2005, 05:44 PM

Cat is probably clogged
Old 12-12-2005, 07:12 PM

I cut the cat open, hollewd it out (banged the rest of the honeycomb out with a 2.5" thick, 3-foot rod iron pole), and welded it back together. No emission code, only an o2 heater malfunfunction i'll check tonight or first thing after reverting till i find a bracket.