S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help Reading Plugs! 2&3 carbon fouling?

Old 06-19-2007, 04:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Reading Plugs! 2&3 carbon fouling?

Pictures dont show it the best but Plugs 1&4 have DRAMATICALLY whiter ground straps then 2&3, almost bleach white..

Ive attached some pictures of my plugs, because I need ideas... I'm currently running NGK Copper 7173. And this is actually the best looking set I've had yet. I'd guess there is about 500 miles on these plugs, driving back and forth to work, with some 60-100mph redline in 3rd WOT one lane passes mixed in. I have a vortech supercharger, running about 9lbs of boost. Ever since Ive had this car, plugs 2&3 carbon foul almost immediatly... While 1&4 run perfect. I'm desperate here, because somethign isnt right. Mainly I guess, how do these look? Are all cars going to have variations like this???

History : My tune is perfect down low(A/F 13-14 cruising at low rpm), but a little rich on WOT (A/F 11's) Its my daily driver, no track, but I just want it to drive solid, but have the power there when I want it. Car is a 2003 has 10k miles (4k driven in the last 4 months since Ive had it). It has been doing this ever since I got the car. Compression is test is good, but I havent done a leakdown. Mainly because I don't know how, but also because Im scared what I might find. I first thought this was caused by blowby from the pcv since it connects to the intake right between 2&3 where oil would leak in. So I got krank vents and a catch can.. A couple thousand miles later, I'll say its better, but still same problem. Also, now 1&4 seem AWEFUL white. The ground strap is like its been bleached, the pictures dont show the color the best. So I'm almost afraid to pull anymore fuel.

Anyone have any sugestions as to why this is happening? I have even pulled fuel from 2&3 up to 15% for a while, still foulded plugs... just not quite as bad..

Plug 3:

Plug2:

Plugs in order 4 -> 1

Old 06-19-2007, 04:58 PM

I should add a couple things.. There is absolutely NO oil whatsoever in my spark plug tubes.. Also I've verified that all individual cylinder trims are equal for all for all 4 in my tune.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:09 PM

Also, I have a cronic case of dipstick pop. Before Krank Vents, after Krankvents still popping up dipstick. Nothing has cured this... If I get on it when Im driving, the dipstick is going to be popped out when I stop. My vacuum reads -15 at idle (-12 with AC on) to -21 ish on decel in gear.
Old 06-19-2007, 05:31 PM

Ive swapped coils around, 2&3 still foul. I torque the plugs to spec every time. Ive quadrouple checked, and then checked some more that all my vacuum lines are routed correctly, and my krank vents are in the right direction, and that there are no vacuum leaks. Ive had dozens and dozens of different map variations, always 2&3 foul.
Old 06-19-2007, 10:55 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Do a leakdown test. Excessive blowby is a pretty sure sign of a cracked ring or ring land. Check to make sure your boost isnt getting through your PVC valve.

Another possiblity is compression leak through the head gasket between 2-3. A leakdown test on a stone cold motor should show this.

See if the injector leads are long enough to swap 1-2 and 3-4. Also swap injectors the same way to see if its an injector thing.

Chris
Old 06-20-2007, 04:23 AM

Thanks for the sugestions! I'll check all of those things out. Am I making too big a deal of this? Or is this something I should be persuing?

I suppose I've avoided a leak down test long enough, It's just after everything I've had go wrong in this car. I'd almost assume not know if I now need head, or cylinder work too.

Also I don't get that much blowby (theres hardly ever anything in the catch can) I just presumed it was caused by blowby, or oil getting in the cylinder since trimming the fuel to 2&3 has no effect on the plug condition. Also from what I've read it looks more like an oil foul, than a fuel foul.
Old 06-20-2007, 05:56 PM

Received 10 Likes on 4 Posts

MAYBE YOU HAVE SOMETHING WRONG WITH YOUR INJECTOR.jUST CHANGE THE INJECTOR WITH THE FIRST ONE AND READ THE PLUGS AFTER THAT.BE SURE TO CLEAN THE PLUGS SO YOU READ IT RIGHT.iF ITS THAT THAN CLEAN THE INJECTORS.iF NOT THAN YOU HAVE A BAD PISTON OR DAMAGED CYLINDER WALL MAYBE?WORST CASE SCENARIO.
Old 06-20-2007, 06:26 PM

Originally Posted by Boostaholic,Jun 19 2007, 04:36 PM
History : My tune is perfect down low(A/F 13-14 cruising at low rpm), but a little rich on WOT (A/F 11's) Its my daily driver, no track, but I just want it to drive solid, but have the power there when I want it. Car is a 2003 has 10k miles (4k driven in the last 4 months since Ive had it).
your a/f ratio goes up & down. you want to keep the a/f ratio @ 12 all the way. get the car re-tune. check your fuel pressure regulator and piston ring.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:19 PM
Former Moderator

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Turn your dipstick around 180 degrees. It helps mine stay put.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:28 PM

Originally Posted by NFRS2kSi,Jun 20 2007, 06:26 PM
your a/f ratio goes up & down. you want to keep the a/f ratio @ 12 all the way. get the car re-tune. check your fuel pressure regulator and piston ring.
Wrong. You want your A/F ratio at 14.7 to 15 during steady state cruise, idle, and low throttle/load conditions. You want mid 11 at WOT.

Quick Reply: Help Reading Plugs! 2&3 carbon fouling?