S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help! Please analyze my compression test!

Old 04-24-2012, 11:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Please analyze my compression test!

Last week I had a compression test done on my MY05 and here were the results:

Cyl #1: 220
Cyl #2: 200
Cyl #3: 210
Cyl #4: 220

I was told that Cyl #2 first registered at 190, but was brought up to 200 on a subsequent test. A leakdown test was done on cyl# 2 which revealed a 20% leakage.

The car currently has 85k miles, and is my daily driver. I've owned the car since it had 38k on the clock. As I understand it, a compression test is a tool used to estimate the reliability of the motor.

Based on the numbers I provided, can someone tell me what the likelihood is for me to keep this as my RELIABLE daily driver in the years to come WITHOUT having to spend thousands of dollars down the road to repair/replace the motor? Ideally I would like to keep the car forever, however that would change if spending thousands to fix it was imminent in the future.

Also, based on the compression test results, can someone give me an idea how bad/hard my s2k was driven by the previous owner? I'm the second owner of the car and have absolutely babied it, hitting vtec only a handful of times in the 4 years I've owned it. I don't have an engine oil burning issue at all, as a side note.

Keep in mind that I don't race or track, so I don't care much if the performance of my S2k is a little worse than other S2ks out there-- my concern is longterm reliability.

I know there's a lot of fellas on here who really know their stuff, so I'd appreciate any solid advice/analysis of my ride.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-25-2012, 12:36 AM

Originally Posted by ZKilla55

I was told that Cyl #2 first registered at 190, but was brought up to 200 on a subsequent test. A leakdown test was done on cyl# 2 which revealed a 20% leakage.

The car currently has 85k miles, and is my daily driver. I've owned the car since it had 38k on the clock. As I understand it, a compression test is a tool used to estimate the reliability of the motor.

Based on the numbers I provided, can someone tell me what the likelihood is for me to keep this as my RELIABLE daily driver in the years to come WITHOUT having to spend thousands of dollars down the road to repair/replace the motor? Ideally I would like to keep the car forever, however that would change if spending thousands to fix it was imminent in the future.

Also, based on the compression test results, can someone give me an idea how bad/hard my s2k was driven by the previous owner? I'm the second owner of the car and have absolutely babied it, hitting vtec only a handful of times in the 4 years I've owned it. I don't have an engine oil burning issue at all, as a side note.

Keep in mind that I don't race or track, so I don't care much if the performance of my S2k is a little worse than other S2ks out there-- my concern is longterm reliability.

I know there's a lot of fellas on here who really know their stuff, so I'd appreciate any solid advice/analysis of my ride.

Thanks in advance!
Who did the test? For the leakdown, where was the leakage? Valves, piston rings, head gasket, etc...

Compressions are not horrible but yeah, #2 isn't the best out there. Have you ever run low on oil? Any misfire codes?
Old 04-25-2012, 07:22 AM

Originally Posted by 05thumper
Originally Posted by ZKilla55' timestamp='1335338379' post='21640718

Thanks in advance!
Who did the test? For the leakdown, where was the leakage? Valves, piston rings, head gasket, etc...

Compressions are not horrible but yeah, #2 isn't the best out there. Have you ever run low on oil? Any misfire codes?
Compression test done at Ballade. Alex was breaking down the 411 for me, but to be honest, it was simply information overload. Dude was super cool explaining everything to me, but I wasn't ready to process all of it.

I never had an issue with burning oil in the 4 years I've owned it. I don't remember where exactly the leakage was, but I remember being told that repairing it would require an entire overhaul/rebuild, which wasn't worth it given that I don't race and it's running fine right now.

I did have issues maybe once or twice a year where the car loses major power, like the car is at a crawl off a complete stop, but this happens rarely. Alex did mention something about misfire in the past, but don't remember what he said exactly.

I'm looking at spending a few hundred dollars here and there in maintenance cost over the next year, and was just wondering if it was worth to do, or would I be better off just selling the car.

What do you think caused that 20% leakage in cyl #2? Did the prior owner abuse the car on a daily or weekly basis? Just trying to get a picture of the past and the future with the info I've got, if that's possible. Thanks Bro.
Old 04-25-2012, 08:28 AM
Banned

It's very possible that the issue is in the valve train rather than the bottom end. If that's the case, it may not require a ton of money. Find out WHERE the leakage is, and that will give us a better idea.

Also, if you're willing to learn how to work on your car yourself you'll be able to save yourself a lot of money in the long run. The initial purchase of tools will outweigh the cost of small jobs, but in the long run it's well worth it.
Old 04-25-2012, 01:05 PM

Originally Posted by vividracing.com
It's very possible that the issue is in the valve train rather than the bottom end. If that's the case, it may not require a ton of money. Find out WHERE the leakage is, and that will give us a better idea.

Also, if you're willing to learn how to work on your car yourself you'll be able to save yourself a lot of money in the long run. The initial purchase of tools will outweigh the cost of small jobs, but in the long run it's well worth it.
Actually that does sound familiar. I think he mentioned the issue is the bottom end. Is that bad for my longterm outlook?

I wish I learned how to really work on a car when I was younger...now the schedule is pretty tight with work & family. The only thing I do for the car are the oil changes.
Old 04-25-2012, 09:48 PM

Originally Posted by ZKilla55
Originally Posted by vividracing.com' timestamp='1335371290' post='21641845

Actually that does sound familiar. I think he mentioned the issue is the bottom end. Is that bad for my longterm outlook?

I wish I learned how to really work on a car when I was younger...now the schedule is pretty tight with work & family. The only thing I do for the car are the oil changes.
How about you stop being lazy...

Call your mechanic and ask him to explain it again. Do you have paperwork showing the results? Can you email him? Stop expecting people to help diagnose your trouble if you can't provide us with decent information. Make sense?
Old 04-25-2012, 09:53 PM

I wonder if he dropped some oil in the cylinder to get the number up. Could be a little leakage in the rings. I personally would keep driving it, i've seen much worst numbers.
Old 04-25-2012, 11:46 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I know ou have a slight leak, but the compression numbers are pretty consistent and car runs fine right? Maybe it's worth not fixing and just keep driving it. It might last forever the way it is...l
Old 04-26-2012, 01:57 AM

Received 124 Likes on 101 Posts

Valve clearances checked/adjusted when? Take care of that if it's due. If still similar numbers, don't worry, keep driving.
Old 04-26-2012, 07:09 AM

Originally Posted by 05thumper
Originally Posted by ZKilla55' timestamp='1335387929' post='21642913
[quote name='vividracing.com' timestamp='1335371290' post='21641845']

How about you stop being lazy...

Call your mechanic and ask him to explain it again. Do you have paperwork showing the results? Can you email him? Stop expecting people to help diagnose your trouble if you can't provide us with decent information. Make sense?
[/quote]

What's up with the attitude bro? Do everyone a favor and bring it down a level. Talking tough on the internet doesn't impress anyone, does THAT make sense?

I could have called the mechanic, but I wanted the opinions of other owners out there who may have had this issue to find out longterm reliability with these type of compression numbers.

Quick Reply: Help! Please analyze my compression test!