S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help piston & crankshaft problem

Old 09-09-2012, 04:35 AM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

So you didn't check the oil at any time during this incident? So if the dealer told you it had no oil you have no defense?
Old 09-09-2012, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

No I didn't. Looking back theres so many things I would've done differently. Guess I wasn't thinking straight. When it first happened I thought it was the coils, didn't bother to check the oil. Man wish I did.

When I came in last Friday the SA called the tech over to explain the problem. They didnt mention oil level at all. The tech just kept implying that the test pipe and a modified PCM was to blame. When I told him PCM had not been modified, just installed tp and O2 sensor adaptor, he just kept quiet and shrugged his shoulders like he didn't believe me. Just have to wait an see what Honda inspector says when he comes tmw.
Old 09-12-2012, 03:02 PM

So after more than a week of stressing, I finally got word back form Honda....GOOD NEWS! They're going to cover the repairs under my Honda Care warranty. It's funny, after Honda gave the OK the sa is now acting like my best friend, trying to get Honda to cover as much as possible in additional things besides the damaged parts. Anyways spoke to the sa today and he's going to order the parts. He said Honda approved the following: Short block (new pistons and crankshaft), head gasket, tct, timing chain, chain arms/guides and oil & filter change. It'll still be a few weeks before I get my car back but at least now I don't have the stress of being financially responsible for the repair. No mention as to cause of damage, sa said probably just going to say mechanical parts failure. He thinks the inspector didn't even see the test pipe.

Thanks to everyone who chimed in, lots of good info/advice. Always thankful/grateful for s2ki.

One question, does replacing the small block require a break in period?
Old 09-12-2012, 03:19 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yes it will.... The rings need to break in properly just as with any other new motor. That's great though that you're getting all that replaced. As long as they do the job properly, that motor will be like brand new.
Old 09-12-2012, 04:40 PM

600 miles under 6000 rpm, just like the car required when it was new.

There are some special conditons you can follow on a new engine to ensure the rings get a more complete seating. Contact me when the time nears and ill walk you through.

I can also give you some tips so the new engine NEVER develops any TCT issues at all. The chain and guides will be new so now is the time to catch it.
Old 09-12-2012, 10:26 PM

Originally Posted by Billman250
600 miles under 6000 rpm, just like the car required when it was new.

There are some special conditons you can follow on a new engine to ensure the rings get a more complete seating. Contact me when the time nears and ill walk you through.

I can also give you some tips so the new engine NEVER develops any TCT issues at all. The chain and guides will be new so now is the time to catch it.

Thanks for your help! It'll probably be a couple weeks before I get the car back but I'll send you a PM once I do. I appreciate it!
Old 09-13-2012, 04:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by chris_barry
Engage the services of an independent automotive engineer. They will visit the dealer, inspect/measure/photograph the parts and provide a report. When I've done this the dealers normally sh*t themselves and stop the bullsh*t as they know you are putting together evidence for legal action. Everything goes in writing from that point on and if they make stuff up like piston control arms it undermines their credibility

I had one instance where the insurance company of a major hotels valet parking engaged one of these engineers to provide evidence against a claim I had made. The report came out in my favor and the insurance company paid up ( hotel valet parking stripped reverse gear on a brand new gearbox right in front of myself and the group I was with).

Hope it works out for you.
the dealer does not decide the regional service rep does. They can and likely will deny the claim due to the mod, even though everyone knows a tes pipe can not cause mechanical failure
Old 09-13-2012, 05:13 AM

Originally Posted by mr.intel
GOOD NEWS! They're going to cover the repairs under my Honda Care warranty.
Old 09-13-2012, 07:58 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That is good news indeed. Glad to hear they didn't give you any BS. (it's unfortunate that it had to be assumed they might give you BS, given that the warranty you paid good money for absolutely SHOULD be covering this 100%.)