S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help piston & crankshaft problem

Old 09-07-2012, 12:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help piston & crankshaft problem

I've already posted this in the s2ki Southern California forum but was suggested to post here as well

original post: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/976...-i-be-worried/

Basically, I was driving home in traffic going about 20-30 mph and the engine died. Luckily I was in the right lane so I pulled over and called AAA. After jumping the battery didn't do anything I asked them to tow me to the closest Honda dealership. There were no CEL warnings, no funny noises, nothing out of the ordinary. It has been a week now and when I stopped by this morning they said they found the problem. The #4 piston control arm cap is rubbing against the crankshaft counterweight preventing the engine from turning.

The only mods to the car are: swift springs, FIPK, & Berk test pipe. The technician at the dealership told me that the test pipe was what caused the piston failure. He said "the car was meant to run with a catalytic converter and if you take it out it will mess up the engine" Please correct me if i'm wrong but how can a test pipe cause the piston control arm and the crankshaft to rub?!?!? The SA then implied that I misshifted or overrevved the car, I told him that I had done neither of those (which is absolutely true) and he just says gonna be my word against Hondas. I daily drive my car about 60 miles to work/day 90% fwy, never autocross, never taken to a track, all fluid changes up to date.

I have Honda Care warranty and the SA says Honda will most likely send over an inspector to look and take pics of the car before they decide if they're going to cover it or not.

Can the test pipe really be the cause of this?
Old 09-07-2012, 04:56 PM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

wtf is a piston control arm cap and how does it rub on the crankshaft..

sounds like the advisor there is a retard.. Tell them you want to know what is actually going on not some bs about a piston control arm whatever that is.

Tell them you want to SEE it, make sure you take pictures while you are there.

The test pipe could not have caused any internal engine failure.

If they mean the rod broke then thats on them and they should cover it.
Old 09-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A piston control arm cap...must be close to the muffler bearings. Someone has a big shovel and they are using it with you. There is no way a test pipe is going to cause internal issues..otherwise all of us with test pipes would be buying new piston control are caps...what the hell is that?
Old 09-07-2012, 07:33 PM

He must be talking about the connecting rod hittin the crankshaft. Either way its not cause by the test pipe. I talked to a few ppl who said only way this could happen is if the connecting rod broke or the bolt attaching the piston to the crankshaft broke. I think the dealership is tryin to pull something shady here, maybe make it seem worse than it is to get more money out of the repair.

Anyways now I'm just waiting for Honda Care to send an inspector to see if they're going to cover this under warranty.
Old 09-07-2012, 11:40 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

They may deny you because of the test pipe. They will say the car is modified, and the fine print of your warranty likely says the same. Even if it didn't, which it didn't, they will use it against you. If its an Ap2, and they claim over rev you have a case. Because the Ap2 was made to withstand an over rev (lower redline)
Old 09-07-2012, 11:52 PM

Yes the car is a MY07 thanks for the info about the ap2. I found this online when searching for Honda Care FAQ's

"Adding aftermarket parts will not void your warranty. However, aftermarket parts will not be covered and if an aftermarket part is deemed to be the cause of a failure of an otherwise covered part or component, the normally covered part or component will not be covered. "

So hopefully Honda Care will still cover the repairs since theres no wag the test pipe caused the damage. Crossing my fingers here, will keep you guys posted on what happens
Old 09-07-2012, 11:58 PM

Received 1,403 Likes on 840 Posts

IF the test pipe caused ANY problem, it would be a lean condition. That is the ONLY problem it can cause. If it did, it would show up on the piston walls or cylinder. Not the Crankshaft. Fact is there are likely thousands of s2ks with a test pipe.

Your problem can only be caused by oil starvation. Where did the oil read on the stick...
Old 09-08-2012, 05:02 PM

Last time I checked, the dip stick showed the X just before the high mark but that was about a month ago. There hasn't been any oil leaks and no aggressive driving. I've had the car for 2 years now and have never had to add oil between changes. Test pipe is about 6 months old. Would the test pipe cause the engine to burn oil? If it was starved for oil would there have been any warning signs? Noises or whatnot. Also what other signs would there be to confirm oil starvation. Thanks for your help!
Old 09-08-2012, 06:05 PM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

a month before? you are suppose to check the oil level atleast once a week...
Old 09-09-2012, 01:38 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Engage the services of an independent automotive engineer. They will visit the dealer, inspect/measure/photograph the parts and provide a report. When I've done this the dealers normally sh*t themselves and stop the bullsh*t as they know you are putting together evidence for legal action. Everything goes in writing from that point on and if they make stuff up like piston control arms it undermines their credibility

I had one instance where the insurance company of a major hotels valet parking engaged one of these engineers to provide evidence against a claim I had made. The report came out in my favor and the insurance company paid up ( hotel valet parking stripped reverse gear on a brand new gearbox right in front of myself and the group I was with).

Hope it works out for you.

Quick Reply: Help piston & crankshaft problem