S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP! Parking brake light won't go off...

Old 08-08-2003, 09:54 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well, now I'm really at a loss. What if the fluid is really low in the MC, and I add just enough to fill it about 3/4? Then there shouldn't be much, if any, overflow later, right?

I think what I'm going to do is just take the S in to have the brakes looked at(which I was already going to do since my new rotors, pads and calipers should be arriving next week, and need to be installed). I think the tech I spoke to said that they would need to bleed the lines when they do the install anyway, so I'm assuming that means the low fluid issue will get worked out then??
Old 08-08-2003, 09:58 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by rworne
[B]Considering the fact that you spun out, why don't you check for leaks in the brake lines.
Old 08-08-2003, 10:49 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had the brake light come on when I wore a set of pads down to the backing plates. Drove home from the track in stop and go traffic by downshifting, only touched the brakes 3 times (horrible noise).
Old 08-08-2003, 11:05 AM

Originally posted by Tedster
I had the brake light come on when I wore a set of pads down to the backing plates. Drove home from the track in stop and go traffic by downshifting, only touched the brakes 3 times (horrible noise).
That's pretty incredible. I don't know that I could do that.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:28 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally posted by bigpurp

rworne, have you had your brake light come on when your pads were worn?
I've never had a situation where, say, all four wheels were evenly worn low.

All I am saying is there is a quick, easy, cheap way of doing a check on the vehicle. If the brakes aren't leaking fluid, inspect the pads. If it looks like the pads are worn out, carefully drive it to a mechanic to check it out. If the brake lines are leaking, then it would be a good time to whip out a AAA card and get a flatbed towtruck to haul it to the dealer.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:33 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by stingerbtry
[B]

From the maintenance manual:

"Use only DOT3 or DOT4 (We recommend Genuine Honda Brake Fluid). Check that brake fluid level is between the upper and lower marks on the reservoir. "

The under bleeding it says:

NOTE:s
Old 08-08-2003, 11:41 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a problem with my parking brake light when I had my Si. The problem turned out to be the cap itself. The cap on the brake reservoir has a sensor for the fluid level. It went bad and caused the light to stay on. It was fine after the cap was replaced.
Old 08-08-2003, 11:56 AM

rworne, thx for the suggestions. I'm taking the car in to have the brakes checked asap.

scott, sounds quick and easy enough to check. Thx for the tip!
Old 08-08-2003, 12:05 PM

Please! Before driving it anywhere, lift up the hood and check to make SURE that there is sufficient brake fluid in the reservoir. Even if the pads are worn down a lot, you can always bleed some fluid out or suck it out of the reservoir during the brake service.

BTW, this did happen to me once on the track - it indicated that the pads were worn down nearly to the backing plate and the fluid in the reservoir had dropped too low.
Old 08-08-2003, 12:17 PM

OK, I just popped the hood & checked the fluid level in the reservoir/MC. It is about 3/4 full. Am I OK with this? If so, I'm guessing the prob is the pads...

Quick Reply: HELP! Parking brake light won't go off...