S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP ! Overrev

Old 03-05-2007, 05:59 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Theres like 5 million threads on this forum about overrev. Nobody in here can spin the crystal ball and tell you what can could or might be. The only way to get a piece of mind is to take it in and have in checked out. Have them inspect the retainers with a little dental mirror. Thats all you can do! (IMO)

On another note, i'd not take it to MY honda dealer. For a simple reason. If there was EVER a issue with your engine ---> Oh remember that time you overreved and came in for inspection..... they could blame later defects on YOU.

Anyway, good luck.

are you in NY? shit, thats the best place to be with the S. take it over to bill and have him check it out. done deal
Old 03-05-2007, 06:09 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Yes there are tons of threads like this, and I'm surprised people are still spouting horrible advice. Generally, damage symptoms from a slight over-rev will not show up for thousands of miles. Yes you would know if you bent a valve, but you wouldn't know if you cracked a retainer (the most common damage). Thousands or tens of thousands of miles later, the retainer will give way and the valve will drop int the cylinder and the engine will go boom.

If you let the clutch out all the way, your engine would have spun close to 10k rpm. Since you didn't let it out, obviously the rpm would have been lower. Maybe you can guestimate.. but I don't think you will have any damage if you spun it up to 9k.. however, I would certainly have the retainers checked.
Old 03-05-2007, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

thanks for all the advice guys i think im gonna have my retainers checked out by billman!
Old 03-05-2007, 06:16 AM

Old 03-05-2007, 06:32 AM

Received 242 Likes on 181 Posts

Originally Posted by S|2ocK,Mar 5 2007, 12:37 AM
If you dont notice a power loss then you should be fine. If you're truly worried just do a compression test, you can buy them at Sears and its really easy to do. or find a friend to do it for you, takes no longer than 20 minutes.
^^^^^^^
Lousy advice. A compression check will tell you nothing about cracked retainers. The only way to know is to physically inspect them.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:04 AM

Originally Posted by SheDrivesIt,Mar 5 2007, 10:32 AM
^^^^^^^
Lousy advice. A compression check will tell you nothing about cracked retainers. The only way to know is to physically inspect them.

I'm not sure how the generic advice of compression and leakdown test got started, but it is definitely not going to show a cracked retainer . . . at least not until its to late.

Billman is probably one of the best possible inspection places you could find for this type of job, he has done a lot of retainer work on our cars and practically written the book on these forums as to what to look for.

DO US A FAVOR, please ask him if his theory on the AP2's not cracking retainers still stands after he inspects yours . . . (assuming he does not find anything cracked) and please update us! Otherwise everone will never learn.
Old 03-05-2007, 07:43 AM

gosh damn it, i did the same thing this morning. I'm hitting myself over the head right now. I was driving to work and decided to pass a car, I was going probably around 75 or so and then tried to put it in 4th but got 2nd instead. I did the same thing, as soon as I saw the rev go up, I immediately clutch in. I have a 2002 AP1.

How high of a rev would that be if I were going 75 and then shifted into 2nd? I know 2nd gear goes to like 65 or so redline at 9300.

How much does it cost to have the retainer check? is this something a mechanically incline person can do? I have the service manual so that would help. While I have the valve cover off, should I check the clearance as well.

After the incidient, I didn't floor the car or anything. I just drove normally and it felt fine.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:04 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I will ask billman if his theory stands...I hope it does lol. Im just trying to make an appointment with him.

In anycase i hope everything works out

once again thanks everyone for the help im gonna leave this in the hands of billman lol
Old 03-05-2007, 10:27 AM

here is the post that talks about 2004 plus retainers.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.ph...ic=403991&st=0

how is your car so far? hear any noise? I'm afraid to even drive it now. I guess I'll be taking the valve cover off and checking for crack retainers. I have 75k on the car so I need to check them anyways.
Old 03-05-2007, 10:54 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by silvermonster,Mar 5 2007, 11:43 AM
gosh damn it, i did the same thing this morning. I'm hitting myself over the head right now. I was driving to work and decided to pass a car, I was going probably around 75 or so and then tried to put it in 4th but got 2nd instead. I did the same thing, as soon as I saw the rev go up, I immediately clutch in. I have a 2002 AP1.

How high of a rev would that be if I were going 75 and then shifted into 2nd? I know 2nd gear goes to like 65 or so redline at 9300.

How much does it cost to have the retainer check? is this something a mechanically incline person can do? I have the service manual so that would help. While I have the valve cover off, should I check the clearance as well.

After the incidient, I didn't floor the car or anything. I just drove normally and it felt fine.
10100 rpms in 2nd gear will put you at 74.4 mph. I would definitely check the retainers.. and might as well do a valve adjustment while you're in there.

Quick Reply: HELP ! Overrev