S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help needed, Main Bearing replacement in car

Old 12-21-2014, 12:41 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

2500 miles, wow! You know what caused the engine to lose all of its oil pressure? I hope the guy that put on that oil relocation kit isn't rebuilding this engine.

Good luck!
Old 12-21-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,658 Posts

You should rule out the rod bearings first, then move on to the mains.
Old 12-22-2014, 11:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

prepped the car for engine removal today, gearbox out along with other parts that need to be removed first.

will be pulling the engine tomorrow getting it on a stand and checking out the mains hopefully theres no crank or block damage

will keep every posted and get some pics of my findings
Old 12-22-2014, 01:27 PM

Received 3,768 Likes on 2,658 Posts

good luck, hoping you can salvage it.

Pull the vtec solenoid and see if the screen is clogged with metal flakes, if the solenoid screen gets clogged it can lead to damage in other parts of the motor.
Old 12-22-2014, 02:54 PM

Originally Posted by JFUSION
good luck, hoping you can salvage it.

Pull the vtec solenoid and see if the screen is clogged with metal flakes, if the solenoid screen gets clogged it can lead to damage in other parts of the motor.

will check this tomorrow aswell cheers
Old 12-24-2014, 12:12 PM

Hey every one got the engine out and split today will show you what i found,
first is a pic of the sump

this is why i new it had to be the mains with all them shards...

so i pulled the engine and then started to strip the bottom end off.

il start with the ladder frame section

all seats look like this in what i can only say very good condition no bearings span...

now for the block.

all seats look like this except the center seat

the center seat has a small amount of damage from the bearing.

im not to concerned about this tho.

Next the crank

all the rest are fine but these two are marked, im hoping i can grind this tho as i can get ACL oversize bearings 0.25mm

all thats left is the piston walls witch i forgot to get a picture off they are all very slightly scored looks like it will need either a hone or if there to far gone for a hone a 0.25mm bore will be enough.

ive read you can buy oversize pistons (0.25) from Honda well atleast you can in the USA not sure about the uk. if i can get them here they will probs be 5 x the cost :@....

so overall im quite pleased as i believe its salvageable. any input of people is appreciated.

oh yeh the bearings looked like this

regards BEN
Old 12-24-2014, 01:41 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Looks like just main bearings, you may be able to salvage the crankshaft, that would be my only real concern. I wouldn't even touch the pistons, don't even remove the ring ridge, just leave it be. At most I would give them a good cleaning as well as the combustion chamber, don't even remove the rings. It takes special equipment to hone these cylinders properly, unless you know the required machine shops, you might be biting off more than you can chew. Any decent machine shop can bore the block out, but these FRM liners require special honing stones, so you have to bore, then hone the block, no power honing. In addition once you bore, you can only use a rigid stone, no flex honing. I would just try to get the crank polished, the service limit for crank journal to bearing clearance is .0020"

If you give me the codes on the engine, and on the crankshaft for the bearings I can help you select the proper replacement bearings, I would stick to OEM.
Old 12-24-2014, 02:10 PM

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Looks like just main bearings, you may be able to salvage the crankshaft, that would be my only real concern. I wouldn't even touch the pistons, don't even remove the ring ridge, just leave it be. At most I would give them a good cleaning as well as the combustion chamber, don't even remove the rings. It takes special equipment to hone these cylinders properly, unless you know the required machine shops, you might be biting off more than you can chew. Any decent machine shop can bore the block out, but these FRM liners require special honing stones, so you have to bore, then hone the block, no power honing. In addition once you bore, you can only use a rigid stone, no flex honing. I would just try to get the crank polished, the service limit for crank journal to bearing clearance is .0020"

If you give me the codes on the engine, and on the crankshaft for the bearings I can help you select the proper replacement bearings, I would stick to OEM.

hey Slowcrash would you say leave the head and pistons alone then don't remove them?

i would stick to oem but im not sure if you can get them oversize in the uk? Honda is ridiculously expensive here in the uk i was quoted £90 for a single rod bearing on my civic(B18c4)...£90!! thats like $140 per bearing?!...i would dread buying full set of mains and rods of them...

were i can get a full set of ACL's for £140 rods and mains...

i don't think a polish on the crank is enough as i can feel the damage quite clearly with my finger?

the piston walls are not deep scores but you can feel them with your finger nail so would have though it would need to be addressed? would it not get worst? will get a pic

my s2000 is boosted running 450bhp(was) i don't no if this makes a difference just thought i would mention it

thanks for your input
Old 12-24-2014, 02:36 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,533 Likes on 1,037 Posts

I'd prolly pulled all parts (including the pistons)--- inspect and measure for wear. Might as well, since you have engine out of the car. Hate to put the thing back in and have low compression.

Just my 2¢ worth. Good luck with the fix!.
Old 12-24-2014, 03:04 PM

Received 480 Likes on 392 Posts

Bearings are $8 through Honda over here ? The bearing manufacturer is Daido Metal.

Winterhay Lane, Ilminster Somerset, TA19 9PH, United Kingdom TEL: +44-1460-53221

That's their number maybe they can get you the bearings you need for a more reasonable price.

Quick Reply: Help needed, Main Bearing replacement in car