S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help!!! need a suspension guru's advice.

Old 08-29-2003, 06:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!!! need a suspension guru's advice.

I just had my car realigned. After some hard driving the other night I noticed that I had to hold the wheel to the right a little to get the car to go straight. I am running the U.K. TSB spec alignment right now 6.0 dg castor -1.0 camber up front and -2.0 camber in the rear with 4mm toe rear. After driving the car hard again just now the same thing happened on the way home. What do you think it is???

Could it be:

-The car is not holding the castor setting on one side???

-Maybe it's the camber that isn't holding up front???

-Is it a front end alignment issue???

Should I try:

-Lowering the castor on both sides to say 4.5 dg????

-Replace a particular piece of hardware???

-Change the camber on both sides???

-Never drive the car hard again, (yeah right NOT AN OPTION, I WOULD BE FORCED TO SELL IT)
(Did I mention I could never bear sell my S?)
-Throw a temper tantrum then just give up and drive with a crooked wheel???
Old 08-29-2003, 06:13 PM

I am NOT a suspension guru, but...

have you checked your tire pressures? The car is very sensitive to pressure changes. Check them cold and check them warm. See if you have a slow puncture.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:16 PM
mas

Check this out :
https://www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?...threadid=130850

It's a different situation but the answers can give you some ideas. As for my problem, i don't have an update yet.
Old 08-29-2003, 06:31 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Maybe you just noticed it after driving.. I don't think that change easily happens with a single adjustment loose.

I would guess that the tech did not secure the wheel before doing the alignment. If that is the case one easy fix to disconnect the steering shaft and center the steering wheel, but it will be safer to have the tech center the wheel and rework the entire alignment.

The UK alignment spec is a good way to go and not the problem.. I would go back to the shop and ask to start over.
Old 08-30-2003, 09:23 PM

unless you have a severe change in camber or caster (on one side) or bent a wheel it is very unlikely that what you noticed is due to those settings. if anything is wrong it would be the toe, and from my experience this car's rear toelinks do not seem to stay put.

but the main question to you is: does the car steer itself to the left consistently that you have to steer to the right? or is that just the straightahead position?

if it is the first case, then you need the alignment rechecked. if it is the second case, then it is beause the tech that did the work did not do a good job of setting the wheel on center, like cdelena said.

i run max equal caster in the front (6.1), and am at the max limit of the factory spec with respect to camber. i keep toe in the middle of the range. so far my readjustments have been very minor.

the one thing i do that i recommend to anyone who is anal about their alignement (like myself), is to align the suspension with the gas tank 0.5 - 0.75 full, and you in the car., that way you distribute the weight a little better, and can decide for yourself what is centerline for the steering wheel.

bassem