S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP! Need advice from people with engine failures or experienced mechanics.

Old 08-30-2002, 08:45 AM
Sev

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I an overrev situation, lets say 11000 RPM, your valves have a good chance of slamming into your pistons numerous times, they will badly bend or break inside the cylinders!!!! This will take place long before a connecting rod bolt stretches and breaks due to an overrev. Sounds like those bolts were defective and/or overheated from natural 9000 RPM driving which should be covered by warranty.

Also, how can an over rev be limited to one cylinder only? If you truly did over rev, you would have bent/broken valves and mayhem in every cylinder. At those speeds, the valves will slam into the pistons so hard, there is no way that you would escape without damage.

Fight them, you will win, don't give up.

Good luck and keep us posted.
Old 08-30-2002, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by The Unabageler
i'd fight this tooth and nail to the bittersweet end where you come out with a brand new engine and get to rub it in their despotic faces with the glee of a 16 year old who just got to third base for the first time with the highschool slut in his oppressive father's oldsmobile.
having a flash back, bro?
Old 08-30-2002, 02:47 PM

explain this ticking noise? what does it sound like when compared to a noisy valve train?
Old 08-30-2002, 04:01 PM

It does sound like a noisy valve train except it is louder over the exhaust manifold than over the valve cover. At least, that was true for my car.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:10 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Barry WY Silver/Black '01
[B]It does sound like a noisy valve train except it is louder over the exhaust manifold than over the valve cover.
Old 08-30-2002, 04:34 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by s2kpdx01
[B]
oh my gosh
Old 08-30-2002, 05:01 PM

Clearly, their presumptive cause does not make sense. Did the rod only separate at the bearing (indicating an oiling problem or bolting problem) or did the rod snap in the middle (indicating perhaps a manufacturing defect in the rod?) If if did snap, do the pieces fit back together fairly well (also indicating a bad rod) or is the tear rounded away from itself? If so, this perhaps indicates a seizure at either end.

Once the rod is dismembered, everything else you describe can be an effect, rather than a cause.
Old 09-15-2002, 05:43 PM

Things are not looking much better.

An engine inspection by an engineer from a reputable independent party. (RACQ - Royal Automotive Club of Queensland) arrived to the conclusion that a loose #2 big end bearing cap retaining bolt was the cause of the engine failure. i forwarded this report to Honda Australia.

They are saying that this bolt was loose/failed because the engine was overreved. WTF?
The valve train is in perfect condition and a CEL has never been triggered.

Furthermore Honda Australia had their own independent inspection done.

Guess what?

They are refusing to forward the results to me. Doesn't it seem like they are hiding something?

Please feel free to voice youre displeasure at this lack of customer service.

The Australian customer relations manager can be contacted on steveb@honda.com.au
Old 09-15-2002, 06:10 PM

dhess, I think you will get satisfaction, although you might need an attorney (barrister?) before you are done. I think the cost for replacing the engine will be in the neighborhood of AUD$20,000 so it IS worth pursuing.

It does seem that they will have to reveal the results of their internal evaluation OR they will have to pay for the repair. They should honour their warranty, based on what you've posted here. Unless you abused it (and I don't believe you did), they should fix it.

Here's a quotation for Honda Australia's web advertising for the S2000:
It was a dream that defied conventional thinking. A dream heralding the creation of new technologies. New rules, New possibilities. A dream made real in the form of Honda's revolutionary S2000 sports car.

A new breed of sports car that stands as testimony to the premise that what appears impossible for others, is in fact possible for Honda.

S2000 will set your heart racing from the moment you switch on the ignition boasting the most powerful, naturally aspirated, four-cylinder production engine in the world. A race-bred unit featuring 16 valves with DOHC VTEC technology delivering an amazing 176 kilowatts of pure exhilaration from just 2 fuel-efficient litres. Refined power that combines with Honda's unique racing balance of predictable, agile handling an responsive progressive braking. Then "feel" that's beloved of sport cars driven around the world.
Honda Australia link
Old 10-15-2002, 04:03 AM

Just a question from a simple Skyline owner.

Do s2000s have a hard rev limiter? If so, why would Honda set this at a level that was not safe. 100% their issue.

Also, if you want to continue this discussion, get hold of their published 0-100 times for the car, and then have them demonstrate how to match it without "over-reving" the engine.

Good luck.

Quick Reply: HELP! Need advice from people with engine failures or experienced mechanics.