S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help! My water temps are 100-degrees!

Old 12-23-2002, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Why can't the S2000 be driven in the winter? Just because it has a rag top and its RWD doesn't mean it can't be driven in the winter.

I don't have room for a second car. Even if I did, why would I want to store my favourite car and not get to drive it? Winter isn't hard on the S2000. If you know how to take care of your car, its a non-issue.

A lot of people have asked me "how do you keep that car warm in the winter?" - its actually easier to heat than a car with a back seat. The only complaint I have is how COLD that damn shift knob gets (but I wear leather gloves when its cold anyway).
Old 12-23-2002, 08:53 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

This is my third winter running with the S2000, and I have no more complaints about driving it than I would any other car (except I hate see snow on her ).

koala, buy Rick's leather knob condom and forget about freezing your knob off ever again
Old 12-23-2002, 09:08 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally posted by MacGyver
This is my third winter running with the S2000, and I have no more complaints about driving it than I would any other car (except I hate see snow on her ).

koala, buy Rick's leather knob condom and forget about freezing your knob off ever again
Will it fit over the Muz knob? I have one of those on order... if it does I'll add it to my order when I order some other stuff from rick
Old 12-23-2002, 12:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Slows2k, please enlighten us as to why an S2000 is not a good winter vehicle.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:06 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

koala, I can't say for sure, but if it doesn't, you could snip one of the four elastic bands inside and that will definitely open it up enough.

woodson, is it really worth it to get into that kind of a discussion here? He doesn't feel the S2000 is a winter vehicle, and some of us feel it works just fine. Difference of opinion, but no sense hashing it out in this (or any other) thread.
Old 12-23-2002, 01:15 PM

Guys, for the rest of us in the "snow belt" I'm sure we have more ice in our refrigerator than some of these guys will experience all year. I lived in Pensacola, Fl. for four years. The pipes froze once because the temps got down into the 20's (whoa! lol) but I never experienced anything more than an inch of snowfall at any one time and that took all of two hours to vanish. Alabama ain't but a short drive north of P'cola. A good set of winter tires and a seasoned northerner make this car safer than your atypical soccer mom in her AWD SUV. To date, the only vehicles I've seen off the road this winter (it's early) have been four-wheeled drive Mario's who think because the tread on their tires is blocked, they can scoot down a snow and ice-covered road at the same speeds done in the summertime.
Old 12-23-2002, 03:06 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Just for the record, the S is perfectly fine in the winter. You just need dedicated winter tires and you're all ready to go. The handling in the snow is great, very controlled and balanced without any electronic help in the form of traction control or VSC.

Sure you can get an MDX or Pilot and park your S for the winter. If you have the $$$ then that is great. For some of us who only have room for one car the S is fine in all 4 seasons.

As for these generalizations, it is just as bad as people saying the S has no torque, drive it like you stole it, blah blah blah...Spreading misconceptions about the S is a
Old 12-23-2002, 03:44 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Even though this is completely off topic, Here is is my reply.
Although I live in Alabama, I have seen countless winters in Upstate NY(personally shoveled 157 inches of snow one year) and Illinois. As a former resident of California, I am more than aware of the winter driving conditions in the Sierra Nevada's. Yes you can drive just about anything in snow, The S is perfectly fine Driving in snow. I have driven several RWD cars and trucks on snow and ice before. Here is my position, I am mechanic, I work on Honda's and Acura for a living. I have seen what road salt and sand does to the body and chassis of a car after driving in the crap. I am in no hurry to speed along the process of rust. I plan on keeping mine for a good long while, And I don't want to see rust within 10 feet of my S. For those that live in the north, When was the last time you saw a 1988 Accord that didn't have complete body rot? I think the S is to nice of a car to watch rust out. Please realize that I'm talking long term here. My previous post clearly stated that this was my opinion. I believe that 4wd/awd/fwd vehicle is easier/safer to drive in snow or ice, But I still love driving a rwd car or truck on snow or ice simply because it takes a better driver to maintain control in those conditions. I'll still keep my mild climate, you can keep all the snow elsewhere. Xviper, Sorry you are so easy to offend. And I am not going to get in a debate over driving skills. Chances are, You won't want to ride with me in the dry, and really would hate riding with me on snow or ice. But wasn't the point of this whole thread, Why doesn't the H2O temp gauge work? I think that I answered that already.
Old 12-23-2002, 05:19 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I use my S2000 for Baja racing

sorry couldnt help it
Old 12-23-2002, 09:32 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Slows2k
I have seen what road salt and sand does to the body and chassis of a car after driving in the crap.
This is why car washes in New England make 75% of their annual profits in the winter time.
I am in no hurry to speed along the process of rust.
I'm 41 and have never had a rust problem with any new car I've owned in the Northeast.
I plan on keeping mine for a good long while
That's cool but what you plan on doing with yours has little to do with others. Cars aren't investments and at best, two S2000's properly cared for, one in Alabama and one in New England with equal mileage would more than likely be valued Blue Book wise within a few hundred $ of each other. The true determining factor on each car's worth wouldn't be geographical location rather how well that individual took care of their car.
When was the last time you saw a 1988 Accord that didn't have complete body rot?
My winter beater, a 1989 Mazda MX6 GT Turbo has NO rust whatsoever and it's been here for a decade. Again...it comes down to the owner and how they take care of their car DURING this time of year.
Is it a battle? You bet but any car will rust with neglect and one doesn't have to be above the Mason-Dixon line to experience that.
More of my .02
[

Quick Reply: Help! My water temps are 100-degrees!