S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help My Smoking Turbo S

Old 03-06-2003, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally posted by Pete9339
well we all know what coolant smells like and i'ts deff not that.! we ran a compression check/leak down test last night and they all were verry close to 225 in each cyl! so i'm not leaking anywhere? we haven't tried the map sensor think i know we had to replace an o ring in our missing link with a "close " one so mabey a little is getting by...we're gonna hook up the "in " on our Vafc to watch what its' reading...thank everyone for their ideas!

What was your leak down pct? I had 220 compression with
50% leak down..... resulting in oil burning.
Old 03-06-2003, 02:54 PM

Pete9339 maybe I read this wrong but I cannot find anywere stating what color the smoke is comming out of your vehicle.

Are there big clouds of black smoke comming out when you shift?
Is the smoke comming out at idle?
What color if so? And what type of FMU are you using? Vortech and what size pill? You need to give us more info here to diagnose your problem.

It could be many things, rich a/f condition, blown or bad turbo seals caused by to much oil pressure ect.

Also when in boost have you heard any detonation? It sounds like fine rocks being vigorously shaken in a metal coffee can.

And what type of monitoring equipment are you using egt or wideband? If so where is the probe mounted (what temps you getting?) or what a/f are you getting via the wideband
Old 03-06-2003, 06:09 PM

If you are not using the 10:1 ratio Vortech FMU without using a VAFC then you'll be running rich ... an A/F ratio of about 10:1 at high rpms. Do you still have the cat installed or has it been removed? If the cat has been removed have you removed the ECU backup fuse or reset the ECU recently? If you have then you may want to put it back in let the ECU adjust the mixture. I know that mine smoked a lot when idle and a little between shifts but after the fuse was in for a few days it stopped. If the fuse is in and you're not running with a cat then I would suggest that you pm cbender and ask him about the O2 simulator that he is using to trick the ECU into switching off the check engine light.
Old 03-18-2003, 06:14 PM

ok well here's an update for you all that are following this...we took the turbo off and it doesn't smoke at all ( the smoke was white/blue ) performs like it should stock...so we're thinking turbo leak ? we also noticed shaft play in the turbo...that shouldn't be right? there shouldn't be any up and down play. or back and forth? let me know thanks again for all the help you guys rock!
Pete
Old 03-19-2003, 04:02 AM

Well all turbo's have a bit of play even when new so the shaft is not in there rock solid. However if you are getting a considerable amount of shaft play than perhaps you need a new turbo
Some S2ki run an abnormal oil pressure (this is very rare) out of the oil press sensure and the increased oil flow press on the turbo sometimes makes the seal leak. But if your turbo was not on for long you should not have a big problem
Old 05-31-2003, 08:21 PM

Sounds like the oil seals in the turbo is blown.... This will cause smoke out of the exhaust.
Old 05-31-2003, 09:51 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by RCR S2
[B]Sounds like the oil seals in the turbo is blown....
Old 06-01-2003, 12:24 PM

There's a nitrous oxide jet in the oil line leading to the turbo... at least there should be. If not you'll blow too much oil into the turbo causing excessive smoking... white smoke. When we first did my car we thought the turbo was bad because of the smoking but later we figured out the oil pressure coming into the turbo was just too high so Dwight put in the nos jet to cut back the flow.
Old 06-01-2003, 02:17 PM

I sometimes (but only infrequently) get something similar to what you describe at idle just after I start the car. It doesn't seem to happen between shifts or after the car's warmed up. I doubt it's collant because I show no signs of the coolant level falling, the engine feel stout, and the smoke doesn't smell sweet. I doubt it's oil b/e it's white in color, not blue, and I don't burn ANY oil, even after hard driving on the track. My Honda mechanic thinks it's just excess fuel, and (given that no other explanation fits the facts), I agree.
Old 06-01-2003, 07:47 PM

If you are pushing to much oil pressure at the turbo and your turbo seals are leaking at idle you will get white smoke. The reason for this is because the seal on the turbine side is leaking and then falls in to the downpipe. The downpipe is hot and burns the oil into a white smoke. So white smoke could be oil as well via a bad seal on the turbo. And it will only smoke at idle because most of the time when you get in boost (on garrett turbos) the seals will temporarly seal up and not leak oil into the downpipe. So if you are getting white smoke at idle and it smells like burnt oil its the seals

Quick Reply: Help My Smoking Turbo S