S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help! My Car sounds like a Subaru!

Old 01-19-2011, 08:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! My Car sounds like a Subaru!

Help! My car randomely started acting up on me, I have a 01' Spa Yellow S2000 with 137k miles, I have a very rough idle, whenever I gas it, it sounds like a straight up Subaru Wrx, and whenever I try to accelerate, my engine bogs whenever I floor it, I checked the spark plugs, they seem fine. Their is no fuel or its not wet or anything. I also have a blinking CEL. I need to know, if anyone has had this problem. Oh and I want to know if its bad to drive while the car is in the condition it is in.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:34 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Sounds like a bad coil pack. CEL? If it's a misfire for a specific cylinder, swap its coil pack with another and see if the CEL moves.

Don't drive it until you figure it out. At a minimum you can fry the cat.
Old 01-19-2011, 08:54 PM

Hmm, it might possibly be a coilpack, How much does it cost for coilpacks? Is that possibly the only problem? I heard I should also check the injectors, and I also heard the piston might be pad becuhs of the very rough idle. I got a check engine light code for P1399, Its a misfire, should I just get new spark plugs then?. I just dont understand why it sounds like a Subaru, lol. I mean it sounds cool and all. But at the same time worried. I also smell a distinct smell, not quite sure what it is, but it smells like something is burning from the engine, i think?
Old 01-20-2011, 05:04 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Very likely bad coil pack. Just unplug the packs one at a time with the engine running. Which ever one shows no change is the bad pack.

Sounds like a subaru because you have a dead misfire.

The smell is unburnt fuel.
Old 01-20-2011, 05:11 AM

Received 205 Likes on 141 Posts

Maybe a bad spark plug as well? Might want to check them and see if they are firing, not just appearance, if the coil packs all seem fine.
Old 01-20-2011, 10:47 AM

Sounds similar to what my car was doing. Same year/color (odd). Started off with some bog off the line no CEL. Progressed into sounding like a WRX and throwing CEL. Unfortunately I had Honda take a look at it and was told I prolly had a bent valve or cracked ring since the problem wouldn't transfer and it was leaking from 2 & 3. I took it home and pulled the head, tested perfect, pulled the pistons, no issues. Put it back together and still messing with getting it started right now.

Check all the simple stuff; coils, plugs, injectors. I probably had an injector stuck on and it washed the walls, so I lost compression. Sounded like a WRX because I was running on 2-3 cylinders. Wasted a lot of time, but now I can rebuild am s2k motor...
Old 01-20-2011, 10:48 AM

Originally Posted by Billman250,Jan 20 2011, 06:04 AM
Very likely bad coil pack. Just unplug the packs one at a time with the engine running. Which ever one shows no change is the bad pack.

Sounds like a subaru because you have a dead misfire.

The smell is unburnt fuel.
And what about the rough idleing? Whats up with that?
Old 01-20-2011, 12:50 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

A car won't idle smoothly on three cylinders.

Please read and try to understand the responses, particularly Billman's. You're standing on the shoulders of greatness, take time to enjoy the view.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:13 PM

Originally Posted by AusS2000,Jan 20 2011, 01:50 PM
A car won't idle smoothly on three cylinders.

Please read and try to understand the responses, particularly Billman's. You're standing on the shoulders of greatness, take time to enjoy the view.
That makes sense, okaaay, Billman said to change the coilpack, If thats not the case, what else should I check? And how do you get the 4 cylinder to work?
Old 01-20-2011, 01:33 PM

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Disconnecting each coil pack one at a time is a way to find out which cylinder is the problem.

Suppose the problem is cylinder #2. If you disconnect coil pack #1 it will be running on 2 cylinder (#3 and #4) and will stumble worse. Reconnect it and you're back to three.

Now disconnect #2. Because #2 is a the problem disconnecting it does nothing so there is no change. So now you know it is #2.

Ok, so change the coil pack for #2. If the problem is gone, YAY!

Else, back to the drawing board. But this is a quick and simple way of diagnosing and probably fixing the problem. I have spare coil packs for exactly this reason.

Quick Reply: Help! My Car sounds like a Subaru!