S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP! miss shift to 2nd instead of 4th

Old 07-23-2006, 04:05 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! miss shift to 2nd instead of 4th

SH#T !!! i miss shifted to 2nd instead of 4th going over 70
my rpm went redline and bounced of the revlimiter once or twice then i quickly stepped on the clutch.
redline after 8000 since its an AP2
my car was still drivable, and started fine
it seems like like acceleration is LAGGING!!
what kind of damage do you think put on my car?
if i did do any damage, is it expensive to fix or are there engine mods i can do that can replace the problem?

hope my engine is still strong, only 7,850 miles
Old 07-23-2006, 04:06 PM

rebuild time!
Old 07-23-2006, 04:10 PM

if i had to, any suggestions?
Old 07-23-2006, 04:14 PM

I'm kinda new to reading in the under the hood section but my own problems with Honda brought me here. Check out this thread https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=403991
Old 07-23-2006, 05:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAZZI,Jul 23 2006, 06:05 PM
SH#T !!! i miss shifted to 2nd instead of 4th going over 70
my rpm went redline and bounced of the revlimiter once or twice then i quickly stepped on the clutch.
If you were in 3rd and "going for the gusto", you would have been close to 78 mph (assuming you were redlining in preparation to upshift into 4th). Keep in mind that what you see on the speedometer is "lagged" behind what the vehicle is actually travelling at. Putting it into 2nd gear at that speed would have driven the engine up to as high as 10,800rpm.
I've heard some people in the know say that an AP1 engine is good for as high as 10,500 rpm, however, this is if it was allowed to drive itself up to that speed. Having the rear wheels drive the engine to that speed in the circumstance you describe most likely accelerated it up to speed far quicker than it would do under its own power (if that were allowed). Revving up an engine that quickly, can play havoc with valve retainers even if you didn't slam the valves into the tops of the pistons. Let's say you didn't go quite that high and your valves didn't say "hello" to Mr. Piston, you have a 2.2L engine. They dropped the redline on it not so much that the valvetrain couldn't handle it, but rather that the piston speeds are simply too great when nearing the 9000 rpm of the 2.0L engine. Remember, the 2.2 is just a stroked 2.0. At the same rpm, the piston in the 2.2 is travelling much faster than the piston in the 2.0 due to the longer stoke that it must travel.
You may have more problems than what a 2.0L owner would face from an over-rev. You have the compounded likelihood of valvetrain damage and cylinder wall and piston damage. It may be running OK for now, but I don't see a bright future in store for your engine. Time will reveal what has just happened. Maybe you had horseshoes up your butt and bibles under your seat cushion and nothing will come of this.
As for suggestions, well, what's done is done. You might want to carefully inspect those valve retainers and maybe have the compression checked. These may reveal to you what you may have to do next.
Old 07-23-2006, 05:37 PM

valve float FTL

Put a piece of paper or dollar up to your exhaust and give it a rev...if it gets sucked in you have bent exhaust valves.

Run a compression test on all 4, and a CLT if needed.
Old 07-23-2006, 06:15 PM

bent/cracked valve spring retainers atleast. probably bent exhaust valves too
Old 07-23-2006, 06:30 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by jert534,Jul 23 2006, 07:37 PM
Put a piece of paper or dollar up to your exhaust and give it a rev...if it gets sucked in you have bent exhaust valves.
This is a new one on me. I've never heard of this. Can you elaborate on why this would happen? I can't see why, even with bent valves, that there would ever be a significant vacuum in the exhaust system. In a cylinder with a bent exhaust valve, on the intake stroke, the intake valve would be open. The piston would draw from both, but at the same time, another cylinder would be in it's power stroke. Expanded and exploded gases from the cylinder on its exhaust stroke would exert more pressure than there would be vacuum from the intake stroke of the bad cylinder. I'm just not understanding this.
Old 07-23-2006, 07:32 PM

Originally Posted by Squeezer,Jul 23 2006, 06:15 PM
bent/cracked valve spring retainers atleast. probably bent exhaust valves too

anyways.. i think it's all in ur mind...
Old 07-23-2006, 07:51 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Did you release the clutch all the way out? If not, the revs may not have gone to the levels that cause damage. I've mis-shifted my 2.2 several times but always reacted and got back on the clutch as quickly as I could. I thought I might have done damage, but compression and leak down tests were normal (so far... fingers crossed).

Quick Reply: HELP! miss shift to 2nd instead of 4th