S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help - Mil On!!!

Old 07-14-2002, 08:14 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Anyway, I think Bucwheat () is right that picking up an OBD-II scanner (or Honda PGM) would really be a good investment.
Old 07-14-2002, 08:25 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Thanks, XV!!

This thread has got me thinking... I'll bet it wouldn't be hard to build an attachment for a PC to hook to the diagnostic connector. Maybe to the COM or parallel port, or maybe to USB. A little software and who needs Honda's scanner... I don't know; it's a tempting project.

Ever hear of anyone doing anything like that? Should I poke around the Electronics forum?
Old 07-14-2002, 09:13 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Chazmo
[B]Thanks, XV!!

This thread has got me thinking...
Old 07-14-2002, 09:18 PM

Tnx, XV.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:15 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Here's the link for software:

http://www.obd-2.com/

They also have the OBD-II cable. You can get one specific to imports or a universal (has US adapters). Software and cable are only ~$150.00. You should also pick up a copy of "Getting to know OBD-II" or "OBD-II " from Amazon.com. Just do a search. I'll be the first to admit that you may be able to "jump" the service connector; have never done it personally on a post 1996 car. If you buy the Bible, the book for about $400.00 you will quickly realize that the architecture of OBD-II can't support blink-blink. I'd love someone to prove me wrong; but this thread hasn't done it. Anyone out there, an owner by the way, want to try shorting out their service connector and let me know what happens? I sent an email to FOE at the S2000 plant in Tochigi and he doesn't seem to think it's supported either? Those that know me know if I'm wrong I'll be the first to admit it (unlike some here on the board-not this thread by the way)! So how about some actual field experiences?

Utah
Old 07-15-2002, 04:20 PM

Utah,

Your ears must have been burning. I was going to PM you tonight.

Thanks for the tips and the pointers. I think I'll go the PC route. I have the wiring diagram in the shop manual, but no I'm not willing to do this experiment. Sounds like having the OBDII equipment will be useful long-run. My wife's Volvo has this connector too, so perhaps I kill two birds with one cable

Rock on.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:51 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll take my "Crow" slightly browned and served on a bun please .

Just got off the phone with FOE as I heard from a reliable owner he had blinked his car. So here's the "official" scoop. You can indeed short out the service wire and get some information about the car. The information will be broad based and generic, but helpful. FOE indicates there are 5 seperate systems used for diagnostics.

1) Heating and ventilation are seperated into a separate Honda S2000 diagnostic system. Diagnosis is blink-blink and uses OBD-I architecture.

2) Same with SRS

3) Same with EPS

4) Same with ABS

5) Fuel and emissions can be blinked; contrary to what he emailed me. OBD-II is stacked on OBD-I in this system.

The reason for this is that lots of mechanics are still using OBD-I compliant tools and don't even know OBD-II exists. The blink codes are actually OBD-I codes. They are not very specific. He used the example of the barometric pressure sensor (BARO). It would blink a 13 in OBD-I mode. However a scan tester would be specific as to wheather the sensor had a range problem or high or low voltage problems (Ref: P0106, P0107, P0108 respectively). He also pointed out that in the service manual the tables for fuel and emissions note the OBD-I codes in parenthesis next to the OBD-II codes.......

So I was wrong on this and once again I apologize for my error.

Utah
Old 07-15-2002, 05:01 PM
RT

Received 41 Likes on 30 Posts

Damn Bob, I was just getting ready to make a lunch bet w/ ya
Old 07-15-2002, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm glad you've now realized the truth, but I have to admit that I'm slightly peeved that you didn't believe me.. I gave specific information on the procedure and the results. As for experience, I've done it 20+ times on my OBD-II Prelude (Model Year 2000), and I've done it once on an S2000. Apparently my post count and length of time spent on S2ki isn't enough to make me a "reliable" source by your standards, despite my specific "field experience"..

Matt
Old 07-15-2002, 06:15 PM
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*yawns*

Blake

Quick Reply: Help - Mil On!!!