S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help - Mil On!!!

Old 07-12-2002, 06:07 PM

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Matrix,

:still reading, but getting a little pessimistic:

No sweat. I may have misspoken about possible sources for the MIL. E.g., SRS should actually have it's own light, but it does have DTC codes that can be read. So,

1. I'm trying to figure out which subsystems light the MIL,
2. I'm trying to figure out if there's any way to get the relevant DTCs to flash somehow without connecting a computer to the damn thing!
Old 07-12-2002, 06:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

hmmm, Chazmo I don't want to waste your entire Friday night...and it looks like it is going to have to go into the dealer to diagnose...I have an appointment next Friday for my 1st maintenance...I guess I will keep it in the garage until then...

Thanks for taking the time.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:13 PM

Matrix,

Do you have an OBD scan tool or Honda PGM Tester? These look like hand-held computers with an attachment that goes into the data link connector roughly where your right knee touches the back of the center console assembly (you have an MY '02).

Unfortunately, as far as I can tell, one of these tools is needed to coax the computer to flash the DTC.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:19 PM

No I don't...guess it will have to stay parked until next Friday ...damn and a nice weekend coming up.

Thanks Chazmo.
Old 07-12-2002, 06:34 PM

OK, getting closer though, matrix. I'm sorry about the miscue, but the MIL seems to be tied to the engine control only. (So then why the heck is it a MIL rather than check engine light?? Whatever. )

There are two pages in the shop manual listing DTC codes for this part of the car. Mostly, they're about a handful of different sensors. Knock, throttle position, manifold pressure, O2 sensor, engine coolant, intake air... One case could be the gas cap that you mentioned, matrix. Do you know if it was loose / off at all?

Anyway, there is a method for resetting the computer. You turn the ignition off and remove the No. 25 BACK UP (7.5A) fuse from the under-dash fuse/relay box for 10 seconds.

I really don't think that's a great idea, but I suppose if the condition is persistent it'll recur. It'd be better to at least know the codes detected by the computer before resetting it.

DAMN! Why do you need a special tool just to interact with the computer. They should put cell modems in these things and give them web pages (he says only half-jokingly).

Sorry, matrix. I tried! Have a good weekend!
Old 07-12-2002, 06:41 PM

When I first checked the gas cap it seemed a little loose, so I tightened it up. The owners manual said that the MIL will not clear right away, you need 3 driving trips before it will clear...just not sure what a driving trip is????

Thanks for checking Chazmo
Old 07-12-2002, 07:05 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by matrix
[B]When I first checked the gas cap it seemed a little loose, so I tightened it up.
Old 07-12-2002, 07:26 PM

There's a way to get the CEL to blink and give you the code without buying an OBD2 cable or a Honda PGM tester. It involves shorting the brown wire of the DLC (Data Link Connector) to ground. I don't have the details in front of me now, but I can get them. I'll subscribe to this thread and give out more info when I can get access to it. This process is easier in other Honda cars, but for some reason they didn't run the service check signal out to another connector in the S2000. Note that the DLC was moved for the 2002 model year from the right side of the car to the left (from the point of view of the driver's seat). Again, I'll post more details later.

Matt
Old 07-12-2002, 07:35 PM

Matt,

That'd be cool. I think it's pretty unreasonable that you need diagnostic equipment to extract these DTC codes from the engine computer's memory.

The shop manual does talk about grounding something in the DLC, but in the same breath it talks about the OBD or PGM test equipment.

Anyway, that'd be great info to have if you can figure out how to do it. Thanks. I'd like to tuck that away for a rainy day.

Wanna hear something hysterical? I swear, I just flipped on "The Simpsons", and here's Homer taping over his check engine light. Ain't life just full of coincidences!!!!??? Weird, huh?
Old 07-13-2002, 09:52 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Not to burst your bubble but blink...blink...blink was used on OBD-I (i.e. 1996 and earlier). All S2000's function on OBD-II.....no more blink blink. You will need to download the codes using either a PGM scan tool or some other software (I use OBD II Explorer--http://www.obd-2.com/). If you don't want to invest how about a hint as to what your car is doing? Many here know OBD-II inside out. Did you recently install a CAI? This is the number one cuase of CEL lights on the board. How many miles are on the car? Many here can help but you need to provide specifics.

Utah

P.S. If your gonna tell me you can short out the DLC save it.......many non-S2000 owners have waged this war and lost! What works on a Prelude or Civic don't seem to apply here.

Quick Reply: Help - Mil On!!!