S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help Me Solve My Power Steering Problems...

Old 07-07-2007, 02:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Help Me Solve My Power Steering Problems...

Once again, seeking your help and this time it is for power steering issues. Here goes:

My steering wheel had the tendancy to jerk to the right so I thought I might solve this issue by getting an alignment so I went to WestEnd Alignment and got a mild street/track setup. Took it for a spin only to return with the same problem. (Tires are not the issue as I got new tires on each wheel.)
They double checked everything and then put it on the scales to see if the corner weights were off and they said that it is close to perfect at each end. (If the corner weights were off, it is possible it could lead to this symptom)
They jacked up the front of the car with the steering wheel in the center position and turned the car on. As soon as the car turned on, the wheel spun about half a turn to the right BY ITSELF! When we turn it to the left about a full turn (from the position it turned to by itself), it returned to the same position it took itself to. When we turned it to the right past the point it would go to by itself, it would just stay in that position.

Guys at WestEnd suggested I get a new power steering rack but upon searching on S2KI I found this:
EPS Problems

Has anyone been through the same thing? If so, how did you solve this problem?
Where can I buy a new EPS (electronic power steering unit) set up for cheap? If I don't have to replace the entire EPS, what parts should I change/check?

Thanks in advance.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:52 PM

Received 79 Likes on 32 Posts

Before you break down and buy anything, you may want to try to go through the procedure to have your EPS Control Unit learn the torque sensor neutral position. The best way to do this is to get a service manual, which can walk you through the steps. Otherwise, a dealer can do this for you.

IMO, it's possible that somehow you may have disconnected the battery in the past and the EPS Control Unit learned the wrong neutral position. I have no experience with this, so I can't be of any more help.
Old 07-07-2007, 06:56 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

If the problem was the torque sensor neutral position, the steering wheel would feel heavy. Or atleast mine did.

I think I have a spare EPS Control unit in storage, if you need one, shoot me an offer and I will dig it out.
Old 07-08-2007, 09:02 PM

Steering wheel does not feel heavy at all. In fact, it feels great. It only 'jerks' when I let the wheel go at low speeds (40 mph). At speeds above that it just feels like the alignment is off, barely turning to the right.

Anyhow, I'm going to try what slalom44 suggested. If it doesn't work, I'll just buy that unit from Stratocaster.

I'll report back ASAP.
Old 07-11-2007, 05:30 AM

i have had the same problem with my steering, when jacked up and turned on it full locks to the right , i have tried the resetting the eps to neutral position etc and didnt fix the problem.

I discovered that my torque sensor was faulty, i swapped it out with a friends torque sensor and as soon as i did my problems went away.

Definetly check the torque sensor first before replacing the whole rack as it fixed my steering issues.
Old 07-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Thumbs down

Heck yeah!!

Thanks Hyper_R.