S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help me out here guys w/the skipping gears issue

Old 11-08-2004, 11:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help me out here guys w/the skipping gears issue

Let me start this out by saying that I'm not very technical nor am I extremely knowledgable about transmissions or engines. I understand the basics of it, but I certainly don't know enough to take one apart or have an in depth conversation or arguement. My knowledge ends around where I'm installing an intake or exhaust

Anyways, I was reading a thread about someone who asked if it was bad to skip gears when upshifting. I recall a thread here on s2ki about how you could damage your syncros by skipping gears when upshifting. Well, when I stated that ... I was told that it was complete BS and that anyone who said you could damage your syncros by skipping gears was making it up.

Was hoping someone here who was more knowledgable could back me up here ... The thread I'm referring to comes from here: http://cl.acurazine.com/forums/showthread.php?p=2190265

Maybe someone can help me out? Or maybe I'm completely wrong here! I'm just recalling what I read about mushrooming the syncros for 6th gear.

Sorry if this isn't the right forum to be posting into. I wasn't sure where this belonged.
Old 11-08-2004, 11:35 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you will do a search you will find that 'Woodwork" a Honda engineer has explained how skipping 5th and going to 6th forces the use of a synchro that has not been spun up to speed. It will damage the transmission.
Old 11-08-2004, 12:14 PM

Originally Posted by cdelena,Nov 8 2004, 04:35 PM
If you will do a search you will find that 'Woodwork" a Honda engineer has explained how skipping 5th and going to 6th forces the use of a synchro that has not been spun up to speed. It will damage the transmission.
Yeah, I found the pictures that he posted, and I linked that into the post on Acura-CL.com ... but the lazy ass didn't want to click the link to read it. He just said that you guys don't know what you're talking about ... Was hoping someone could go over there and school him
Old 11-08-2004, 12:47 PM

What would be the point of going to another forum to cause trouble? Best to leave the ignorant stay far away from here instead of instigating an attack and inviting them here to argue their pointless opinions. We have enough "Which headers are the best", "How do I shift", etc theads here in Under the Hood already.

Old 11-08-2004, 01:19 PM

Originally Posted by S2KenC,Nov 8 2004, 05:47 PM
What would be the point of going to another forum to cause trouble? Best to leave the ignorant stay far away from here instead of instigating an attack and inviting them here to argue their pointless opinions. We have enough "Which headers are the best", "How do I shift", etc theads here in Under the Hood already.

Well, there's causing trouble and there's debating I guess ... I wasn't asking anyone to go and flame him, I just thought someone more technical could help me explain things better since I'm obviously not knowledgable enough to explain it right.
Old 11-08-2004, 01:50 PM
dut

Originally Posted by cdelena,Nov 8 2004, 12:35 PM
- even if you wait a few seconds?
- wouldn't it be the same as if you were cruising, put it in nuetral, coast for a bit, then pop back into 6th?
Old 11-08-2004, 02:07 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you read the post, this is addressing higher rpm shifts where people often run up speed in 3rd and then shift to 6th without hitting 5th.

No damage is going to happen if you ease into the gear.. this is when you have the parts of the transmission spinning real good and then jam one that is not.

I really don't care what they say on other boards.. more posts than not are a bit off here and elsewhere anyway. The guy who wrote the quote does know what he is talking about.

"This part is the 5-6 shift sleeve. When it slides one way, the transmission is in 5th gear. When it slides the other way it is in 6th gear.

The cause is driving the car high RPM in 1st, shift into 2nd, then high rpm into 3rd. At this time the engine is screaming it's song and the driver usually feels the need to bring the engine RPM down so he (she) shifts into 6th gear and drops the RPM 3 or 4,000.

The problem is that 6th gear synchro isn't made to work that hard. (What is 5 to 6 RPM change? About 800 ropm?

When that happens the sleeve slides past the synchro that is over worked and grinds into 6th gear. This will mushroom the "Dogs" on the 6th gear and on the sleeve. When the clearance between the sleeve and the hub that it rides on is small enough then the sleeve won't slip backwards into 5th."
Old 11-12-2004, 09:17 AM
Banned

I've read Woodwork's piece. This is what I've deducted from it.

When you shift from 1st to 2nd, engine speed drops, but the jackshaft that the synchros slide on also needs to decelerate, but does so at a slower speed than the engine. When you "speed shift", you force the synchros to slow down the jackshaft, usually followed by a grinding noise.

The suggestion he made to S2K owners was to give the tranny a split sec (i give it a half sec) to slow down before you continue your assault. Supposedly this saves your tranny from premature wear.

Btw, the other guy had problems with his 2nd gear.
Old 11-12-2004, 10:09 AM

rev match, double clutch and this is a non-issue
Old 11-19-2004, 04:35 AM

So let's say i'm having my fun redlining from 1-2-3 and i get to 80mph. I've had my bit of fun for the moment so i decide to cruise. Step off the gas, step on the clutch, wait a second for the revs to drop, shift to 6, and go from there. Am I still wearing out the synchros that way?

Quick Reply: Help me out here guys w/the skipping gears issue