S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help Me Get Started...

Old 08-27-2003, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help Me Get Started...

K, all, I need some help...

I have a 2002 that is my BABY, so I don't want to beat it. Don't get me wrong, it's seen its share of redlines and I ALWAYS use the power curve, even in daily driving (otherwise what's the point, eh?). I just want the car to be around (and hopefully warranteed) for a while...

If I were going to start doing mods, what would you recommend for starters?

I've heard the stock exh is pretty restrictive. Should I have a cat back put in? I'm not exactly 'handy', so there's not much I'm comfortable doing myself. I'm confident I can put in a chip mod (though I'm concerned about misfire in the desert summers) or a cold-air intake, but I get the impression the intake isn't useful if it's still puling from under the hood (plus I drive in AZ, where it's ALWAYS HOT). I would CONSIDER a Comptech SC, but this is pricey and I'd hate to ruin my warranty (or worse, tear up the tranny). Plus I'm not interested in upgrading the drivetrain, clutch and whatever else goes on top of the $5K Vortech sticker.

Worst case, I drive this car stock for the next 3-5 years, loving every minute anyway (still a BAD ASS RIDE!).

Help me out, guys!...
Old 08-27-2003, 01:42 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The stock exhaust is not restrictive therefore there is little gain in most replacements. A chip is not possible although you can replace the entire ECU. There are CAI's available but for little gain.

If you would spend a little time searching and reading you will find discussion of this and more.
Old 08-27-2003, 02:12 PM

Received 1,058 Likes on 540 Posts

based on your criteria...I'd leave it stock ..if you want a power mod then put the 444 gears in the rear end...give you a lot nicer low rpm response as well as faster acceleration...you'll lose a few mph off top end...but how often do you go there anyway?

fltsfshr
if you do decide to modify it have fun doin that too
Old 08-27-2003, 03:52 PM

fltsfshr:

Wow, thanks for the advice! I hadn't even THOUGHT about a different rear end, so I will look into that option further! I notice from your setup you have the 4.44, and after searching other posts I have a few questions:

1. Do you have problems with tire spin at launch?
2. Is there any correction for the spedometer/odometer available yet (to your knowledge)?

thx,
s2k_zonie
Old 08-27-2003, 04:30 PM

theres lots of posts on the subject .. the gears and the yellowbox you need to correct the speedometer...
i'm also supercharged so I have no problem with tire spin at all....lol with my setup i never need to launch.

fltsfshr
Old 08-27-2003, 06:48 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

For something relatively inexpensive, not dangerous to the engine (except in flash floods), and still useful in ways other than just pure hp, go with a CAI (like the AEM/4IGS) and a heat shield. The shield will help mitigate the problem with heat soak on the CAI, and the CAI will free up a few ponies, reduce hot weather bogging, and make a nice sound at WOT (especially VTEC). Expect about $100-150 for the CAI and $150-200 for the shield (I never really priced one, so I'm guessing based upon the fact that it's carbon fiber).

If you want something to get more "go" power, but at a higher price tag, the rear gear swap is suggested. Expect a sub-$1k (someone else will have to jump in, but I would expect around $800 +/-) price tag for gears, install, etc. Don't remember how much the Yellow Box correction piece will set you back, probably around $100.
Old 08-28-2003, 02:44 AM

Hey Macgyver

Welcome to Florida....Rick has the gear price down to almost cheap.

I have a ?? for you....being as your an electronic whiz....what do you think of the grounding kits that are out there? I know when I worked with motorola...a long time ago...they made a big difference in 2 way radio performance and every install included additional chassis grounding. I see Spoon has a kit out. If not from a performance gain standpoint, from a consistancy standpoint?

What do you think?

fltsfshr
Old 08-28-2003, 06:26 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

See my comments here first...
www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=92377
www.s2ki.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid=86323

Second, the ground you're talking about for the radios is vastly different in function than the grounding kits previously mentioned. A better groud for radios allows for better reception/transmission by creating a larger "virtual" antenna. The grounding kits for engines do nothing more than provide a low-impedance return path for any current created by the alternator, something most stock systems do a great job of anyway.
Old 08-28-2003, 06:40 AM

thanks MacGyver

yes I am aware there's a differeince when talkin about rf and transmission as it relates to grounding...I wondered if there was any motor value in how it might relate to modern electronics

...appreciate the info...

fltsfshr
Old 08-28-2003, 08:47 AM

funny you guys brought up the grounding cable...

my wife has a g35 sedan and posts on their boards all the time. one day she came home and told me she wanted a grounding wire to improve the car's performance, and I almost wet myself laughing... I guess it's a fairly hot topic, and even Mitsu offers a "Hypergrounding wire" as a $200 option on the Evo8.

Am I missing something? At some point did car manufacturers stop providing sufficient ground to the chassis?

Quick Reply: Help Me Get Started...