S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help. .. lost oil filter now have startup knock.

Old 08-16-2014, 12:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm in Montana. The oil change was performed at university motors honda in Missoula. They did not use the filter with the numbered band and seemed unaware of a special numbered filter or torque procedure specific to my car despite it being clearly spelled out in the factory service manual. I have already gone to the dealer who referred me to their insurance who told me it was "my word against theirs". Since my only witness is my 5 year old I'm pretty well boned. I keep all paperwork and have the invoice from the dealer for both the oil service and the recall inspection. It doesn't matter. Due to being a single father and working two jobs I let a month lapse before contacting anyone. American honda has been unwilling to help and I can't afford to pay a lawyer up front and no one is willing to take on contingency yet. I was really hoping to have it be oil pump or TCT or something other than a fatal blow. I can't find a decent motor under 100 k and so far no one seems willing to build my numbers matched motor locally.
Old 08-16-2014, 02:04 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by cdelena
The OEM filters have numbers on the side as a guide to tightening. If you turn from first gasket contact to the recommended number you have to use a wrench... It is not possible to get it turned all the way down by hand.
Shit I never knew this . I tightened it by hand with a paper towel for extra grip. Checked it today but still nice and tight no leaks
Old 08-16-2014, 02:42 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I recently lost my engine due to my neglect to oil.. but.. the filter was tight.. I've seen write-ups about adding a clamp to the filter even, more so a racing application.. but never the less a notable safety measure...
Old 08-16-2014, 03:43 PM

This is what I did. Put on a good size rubber band and screw clamp (LIGHTLY... since the filter will expand when heated up so it needs room for that expansion) and then got a spring and a small chain to keep the filter from spinning backwards if it ever got loose. It's overkill but it's also not hurting anything so I'm happy lol. Oil changes do take about 15-20 minutes longer though

There's also one made by some company that has a plate that goes under one of the engine block bolts and fastens around a band clamp I think. Dunno the link though.
Old 08-16-2014, 04:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use After every filter replacement & you will be fine
Attached Thumbnails Help. .. lost oil filter now have startup knock.-oil-wrench.jpg  
Old 08-16-2014, 05:15 PM

Mine was solely due to loss of oil/oil pressure as a result of the filter falling off. I checked the oil level about an hour before when I pulled it out of the garage and it was at the mark. The motor idles completely normal, makes a heck of a knock at start up that quickly goes away, and has a slight knocking when revving that only seems to happen above 4k. I have driven the car under it's own power in my lot attempting to diagnose. When I let the motor bog by letting the clutch out at idle it sounds completely normal until 4k. I would think a rod knock or piston slap would be there all the time.
Old 08-16-2014, 05:54 PM

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by Runninlo
I'm in Montana. The oil change was performed at university motors honda in Missoula. They did not use the filter with the numbered band and seemed unaware of a special numbered filter or torque procedure specific to my car despite it being clearly spelled out in the factory service manual. I have already gone to the dealer who referred me to their insurance who told me it was "my word against theirs". Since my only witness is my 5 year old I'm pretty well boned. I keep all paperwork and have the invoice from the dealer for both the oil service and the recall inspection. It doesn't matter. Due to being a single father and working two jobs I let a month lapse before contacting anyone. American honda has been unwilling to help and I can't afford to pay a lawyer up front and no one is willing to take on contingency yet. I was really hoping to have it be oil pump or TCT or something other than a fatal blow. I can't find a decent motor under 100 k and so far no one seems willing to build my numbers matched motor locally.
The price you are going to spend to fix this is going to exceed the cost of a lawyer. I can tell you have not spoken to one about this. Do it. The consult is no charge. The insurance company is doing its job (not to spend $) by bluffing you with the old "its your word against theirs" story. When they see they are facing legal costs, they will change their tune. This is why the dealers have insurance, just for stuff like this.
Don't back down. Repeat. Don't back down. One more time. Don't back down.
Old 08-16-2014, 08:51 PM

Received 247 Likes on 176 Posts

I find it so sad that a dealer can't even do an oil change correctly. I run an oil filter that is over twice as large as the stock "S" filter and it has not moved once in the 100+k miles I've run these filters.

Do what Cosmo is telling you and get a lawyer.

ROD
Old 08-16-2014, 10:09 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Who ever tightened that filter is directly responsible, not you. Period. A properly tightened filter will not come off. Stand up for this, and print this post out for your fight.

Any S2000 factory filter that is hand tightened has a very good chance of coming loose. The factory Honda S2000 PCX filter has a shallow gasket, which allows for metal to metal torqueing like a bolt. If they tightened by hand, it's their fault.

Hand tightening has been the industry standard forever. That is until the S2000 filter arrived.

ONLY filters with a tall gasket (pretty much all other filters in the world) can be hand tightened as the gasket resistance keeps the filter on. The S2000 filter gasket cannot do this, it mush be put on with a WRENCH, JUST AS IT STATES in the Honda repair manual.
You spun a bearing, and its a big expense.

There is a small chance this can be fixed while you wait (replace the spun bearing and hand micro-polish the crank). Not sure where you are but I've saved quite a few.
Billman, do you agree with the recommendations on the Honda filter to tighten 7/8ths of a rotation past first contact? I can only get it to about 4-5 by hand.
Old 08-16-2014, 10:14 PM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by Runninlo
What do you mean they did not use a filter with a numbered band? Did they not use a Honda filter?

Quick Reply: Help. .. lost oil filter now have startup knock.