S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help. .. lost oil filter now have startup knock.

Old 08-15-2014, 08:10 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
Who ever tightened that filter is directly responsible, not you. Period. A properly tightened filter will not come off. Stand up for this, and print this post out for your fight.

Any S2000 factory filter that is hand tightened has a very good chance of coming loose. The factory Honda S2000 PCX filter has a shallow gasket, which allows for metal to metal torqueing like a bolt. If they tightened by hand, it's their fault.

Hand tightening has been the industry standard forever. That is until the S2000 filter arrived.

ONLY filters with a tall gasket (pretty much all other filters in the world) can be hand tightened as the gasket resistance keeps the filter on. The S2000 filter gasket cannot do this, it mush be put on with a WRENCH, JUST AS IT STATES in the Honda repair manual.
You spun a bearing, and its a big expense.

There is a small chance this can be fixed while you wait (replace the spun bearing and hand micro-polish the crank). Not sure where you are but I've saved quite a few.
Thanks for clarifying that Billman. I have always tightened the crap out of mine due to horror stories like these..

Is this in a sticky somewhere?
Old 08-15-2014, 09:48 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

No its not..

Dealers have a b and c techs, and oil changes are handed to the c guys. They are almost unanimously young kids with little experience.

I would ask for the repair order, and find out the tech who did it. Ask him if he put two hands on the filter and made it tight. When he says yes, he will be admitting his incompetence.

I blame the service department for not training the kid on the specifics of what they ask him to do.

Eh... Maybe 14 years isn't enough time to learn how to tighten an oil filter.
Old 08-15-2014, 10:04 AM

Received 1,439 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Another reason to never go to the dealer. Worst part is dealer will always deny responsibilty to the end, regardless of how blatant their fault. More than any independant or chain, dealer will only do what is right if they are forced to.

So force them.

The case you have is what Billman stated. Their is a sort of industry standard that S does not comply with. So it would be very easy for someone to do it the way they do for every other Honda that ever comes through the shop.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

For future reference, the S2000 "oil low" light should be renamed "your engine is toast" light. There's maybe only 1 story I've seen which may or may not even be credible where an engine was still spared after seeing this light while the motor was running. And even then that guy turned the engine of within a couple seconds of seeing the light.
Old 08-15-2014, 12:48 PM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

I see it for a couple seconds everytime I change my oil
Old 08-15-2014, 01:05 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Better call Sal
Old 08-15-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
No its not..

Dealers have a b and c techs, and oil changes are handed to the c guys. They are almost unanimously young kids with little experience.

I would ask for the repair order, and find out the tech who did it. Ask him if he put two hands on the filter and made it tight. When he says yes, he will be admitting his incompetence.

I blame the service department for not training the kid on the specifics of what they ask him to do.

Eh... Maybe 14 years isn't enough time to learn how to tighten an oil filter.

Make sure when you're at Honda asking the tech if he put two hands on it, you are recording everything. Unfortunately you hold the burden of proof. It really shouldn't be hard to prove they were negligent because a properly installed filter will NEVER back off. Out of the hundreds, maybe thousands of oil changes I've done, not once have I had to replace someones motor due to an under-torqued filter or drain bolt.

It really is a shame to see some of the second and third rate mechanics these dealers are hiring.
Old 08-16-2014, 01:34 AM

Received 26 Likes on 19 Posts

Like Billman, I've been preaching torqueing the filter for years. So many won't listen as he states the industry standard had always been hand tight.

I remember in 86 when the first slab side GSX-R cycles came out to the US, and torqueing the filter was "new". I watched from the pit wall at the Daytona superbike race, where a filter backed off hyper spraying oil on the front wheel, while leaving a track behind for the rear wheel to follow, all while wide open on the banking.

That rider, performed the most amazing save I have ever, ever seen.

All up and down pit road, EVERY team was torqueing oil filters...
Old 08-16-2014, 06:55 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The OEM filters have numbers on the side as a guide to tightening. If you turn from first gasket contact to the recommended number you have to use a wrench... It is not possible to get it turned all the way down by hand.
Old 08-16-2014, 07:05 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Do you have the repair order/receipt?

Quick Reply: Help. .. lost oil filter now have startup knock.