S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help. .. lost oil filter now have startup knock.

Old 08-14-2014, 04:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Help. .. lost oil filter now have startup knock.

As the title states the oil filter fell off on a spirited run up the on ramp. Was not racing or anything like that just enjoying the car for what I bought it for.
The car is a 2007 that I purchased July of 2012 certified pre-owned from local honda dealer with 30k miles. They performed the oil service in march of 13 somewhere around 3 5k miles and a recall inspection on the brake booster in December approx. 39k miles at which time I was getting due for oil change. Their service writer told me since I was returning the car to storage to wait until spring 14 when I got it out for the summer. It was dusk and due to merging I was not looking at the dash so I didn't see the oil light come on right away. Due to the darkness and having my 5 year old with me I decided to coast/idle to the nearest off ramp. The oil had sprayed on the exhaust so it was smoking. I popped the hood to be sure there wasn't a fire and that was when I noticed the filter stem was bare. No filter. I had a friend bring me a filter, Fram was only thing available that time of night and some 10-30 oil. Filled her up and was optimistic since it sounded normal when I turned the key off. Sadly it made a hell of a knock but I was again hopeful as it quickly went away leaving the motor sounding fine at idle. A little Rev though revealed more knocking. I turned the car of and trailered it back to storage. Since the dealer and their insurance basically said my word against theirs I'm stuck trying to get her whole again. She is bone stock, loved but driven, and only has 40.8k miles. Help. Please.
Old 08-14-2014, 04:47 PM

Received 64 Likes on 25 Posts

Ran it on low oil. That motor is done.
Old 08-14-2014, 05:16 PM

may be too late. if you have the receipt from where they change the oil, I would get a lawyer. if they did it, it's on them. the receipt is proof!
Old 08-14-2014, 07:49 PM

Received 1,716 Likes on 1,023 Posts

Originally Posted by YELLOW JACKET
may be too late. if you have the receipt from where they change the oil, I would get a lawyer. if they did it, it's on them. the receipt is proof!

Even if you don't have the receipt, get a lawyer. You may have to pay him a few hundred for a letter demanding a new engine but that is what you need. The dealer should have a record of you and the service performed. The letter does not have to include evidence, only the facts.
Good luck with the new engine. If you see that oil light even flicker, you cannot turn the motor off fast enough.
Old 08-14-2014, 10:50 PM

Received 49 Likes on 44 Posts

Idk how that's gona hold with a lawyer. .. He said they did the oil change at 35k. And at 39k is when it fell off. 4k miles with no issue is gona be a hard sell.. If I'm reading this story correctly.
Old 08-15-2014, 03:52 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where are you located OP?

I can assist you by doing the rebuild if need be, just let me know.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:16 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Sad story ..especially with 40K miles, if you are lucky its rebuildable but chances are you need new long block AND a frickin large hose clamp + safety wire attached to new filter!
Old 08-15-2014, 04:56 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Who ever tightened that filter is directly responsible, not you. Period. A properly tightened filter will not come off. Stand up for this, and print this post out for your fight.

Any S2000 factory filter that is hand tightened has a very good chance of coming loose. The factory Honda S2000 PCX filter has a shallow gasket, which allows for metal to metal torqueing like a bolt. If they tightened by hand, it's their fault.

Hand tightening has been the industry standard forever. That is until the S2000 filter arrived.

ONLY filters with a tall gasket (pretty much all other filters in the world) can be hand tightened as the gasket resistance keeps the filter on. The S2000 filter gasket cannot do this, it mush be put on with a WRENCH, JUST AS IT STATES in the Honda repair manual.
You spun a bearing, and its a big expense.

There is a small chance this can be fixed while you wait (replace the spun bearing and hand micro-polish the crank). Not sure where you are but I've saved quite a few.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:02 AM

Received 1,397 Likes on 837 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Where are you located OP?

I can assist you by doing the rebuild if need be, just let me know.
Jordan is where I would send you if that's what it comes down to and he is in range
Old 08-15-2014, 05:06 AM

Another thumbs up for Jordan to assist if he is within range! Billman and Jordan are two of the most educated and experienced S2K folks, period!

Quick Reply: Help. .. lost oil filter now have startup knock.