S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help interpreting alignment readings, please...

Old 11-03-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help interpreting alignment readings, please...

Question: Can alignment toe specifications be specified in degrees rather than inches (or other linear measurement)?

Okay, it's like this... I drop off my new-to-me '02 at the stealership for some routine maintenance items. Figured I'd get an alignment while i was at it, and printed out the alignment specs I found in the autocross setup faq I found on this site and brought them in.

I clearly tell the service adviser that if they aren't willing to perform an alignment other than to by-the-book specs, that I'd take it somewhere else. No problem, I was told. I requested a printout of the alignment results.

I pick up the car right as they're locking the doors, so, no time to check things over. I was told that they matched my specs "as close as they could get." Sounded good... I get home and it appears that my instructions were totally ignored, as the printout shows before, after, and upper and lower limits. ALL values fell right in the middle of the specified ranges, which were quite far away from the specifications I presented.

Camber is measured in degrees in both instances, and they clearly didn't follow instructions there. Toe however, is ambiguous. Printout results show a value of -0.04 degrees on both fronts and 0.29 and 0.2 degrees on the rear. I have no idea how to reconcile this with the FAQ specs of 0 to 1/8 inch toe out for front and 1/4 to 3/8 inch toe in for rear.

I figure that I should present them with the option of trying again or giving me a refund. Clearly i will have to take nothing for granted and will have to present them with specifications in degrees rather than inches. Can anyone help me translate?

Or... could it be that the degree symbol (
Old 11-03-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by secretdonkey,Nov 3 2005, 09:12 PM
Question: Can alignment toe specifications be specified in degrees rather than inches (or other linear measurement)?
Yes. Toe is commonly measured in either degrees or inches.
Old 11-04-2005, 03:32 AM

Thanks - now if I can find out how to translate the FAQ specs of 0 to 1/8 inch toe out for front and 1/4 to 3/8 inch toe in for rear into degrees (as applies to our car) then I can present that to the dealership and give them an opportunity to make good.
Old 11-05-2005, 11:39 AM

bump - any suggestions appreciated.