S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

help with intake question AEM V2 or FIPK

Old 12-08-2010, 01:36 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I would go with the FIPK. I had it when I was in FL with the AUT cooling plate. I never heat soaked there. I can tell you I went through some deep puddles there that I would have been really pissed I had the AEM V2 intake on!!
Gains are really going to be the about the same. You have the AUT cooling plate which is pointless to go with the AEM intake so would have to ditch one of those regardless.
Not worth maybe what 1-2 hp if that max gain over the FIPK imo. Especially when you gotta worry about it getting soaked all the time if you daily drive it.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The risk of hydrolock really boils down to your location. When I lived in Idaho I would never have been concerned with hydrolock, but now I'm in San Antonio. It flash floods here all the time, and trust me you cant always tell how deep the water is especially at night. I've driven through puddles here that splashed water clean over the hood of my Touareg, and appeared to only be 3-4 inches deep. If you don't drive your S in the rain then get whichever intake tickles your fancy, but if the S gets wet then I'd want the peace of mind of a FIPK or Comptech.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:18 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by CBRdream21,Dec 8 2010, 02:39 PM
The risk of hydrolock really boils down to your location.

Also to add, not only does the engine make more power with the AEM, it also looks way better thank the FIPK in the engine bay. Like I said earlier, I've driven in heavy rain with the AEM and no issue. BUT! I will confess my ass cheeks were tense until I got home because of the thought of hydrolock

I'd by the AEM again.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:39 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

Has there ever even been a back to back dyno to show the AEM makes more power?
Never seen anything showing that before.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:19 PM

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by CapoArgentino,Dec 8 2010, 08:19 PM
I've been a V2 owner for over a year now. The one I have came with a hole and duckbill valve on the bottom to drain out any water that may make its way into the intake tract. Also, I purchased a AEM filter cover.
same here.
plus i put an "umpbrella" made from 1/4 of plastic flowerpot.
plus i ductaped 2 big drainwholes in the engine compartment right above the filter location.

it sounds great.
feele a bit more stronger than stock.

as to he heat - i monitor air intake temp using Scangauge - with AEM it went down 15-25degr celcius.
even at cruising speed when a lot of air flows through engine compartment the IAT still 10-15degr lower.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:55 PM

from what i noticed, personally...the intake manifold itself probably is a bigger heater. the oolant lines going to the IM make it pretty toasty
Old 12-09-2010, 04:25 AM

I think I might go with the FIPK just to have peace of mind, for the 1-2 pony just doesn't seem worth the risk. I bought both intakes like a moron so now I have to sell the V2. plus I can return to stock very easy if I ever want to sell the car and dam the FIPK is like half the price lol got it cheap. AEM should redesign the intake to have the filter point to the side instead of front and there would be no worries. I would not be happy if wife took the car and killed it lol

So any one who wants a V2 let me know

thanks very much for all input
Old 12-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Banned

Well see if your not the only one that drives your S2 then go with the FIPK. You should have mentioned that in the first place!!
Old 12-09-2010, 07:31 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Moddiction,Dec 8 2010, 03:39 PM
Has there ever even been a back to back dyno to show the AEM makes more power?
Never seen anything showing that before.
Check the AEM website. They have a dyno for the S2000 with the V2. Also K&N has a dyno. This has been discussed in the past a billion times. It is known that the V2 is one of the top two HP intakes for the S2000, maybe behind the PRM but that one is short-ram.
Old 12-09-2010, 07:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by NFR_AP2,Dec 8 2010, 02:27 PM
its proven that when your car is moving the bay is the same temp as the outside air...only when your stopped is when it sucks, and thats only when its summer
I love people downplaying heatsoak. The power difference is so noticable the car feels utterly dead. It feels like it's struggling to move, i can actually notice how slowly it accelerates. Even if it only happens when moving, the second that you stop again, it's an instantaneous issue.

When i had the AEM on... it didn't exist anymore. Ever. And it gained power.

STOP downplaying the issue, because it affects daily driving something fierce.

Quick Reply: help with intake question AEM V2 or FIPK