S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

help with intake question AEM V2 or FIPK

Old 12-07-2010, 04:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help with intake question AEM V2 or FIPK

help with intake question AEM V2 or FIPK? I have already bought the AEM V2 but now after reading all the people and the water issue with them im a little scared. if I put it on im going to do the flower pot cover also have a AUT cooling plate so I dont know if I have to cover the hole?

Any help would be great.

People with the V2 please let me know how you installed to not worry about the water dripping on it, I think this is a new version then some considering it has the water release duck bill thingy lol

Larry
Old 12-07-2010, 05:05 AM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

I can't comment on the dripping, but my opinion is that so long as you have the waterproof "sock" on the filter, you're fine. I drove through a monsoon the the other day with mine and had no issues. That said, avoid foot-deep puddles
Old 12-07-2010, 05:49 AM

I did a ton of research on this last summer before I ended up buying the FIPK. The conclusion I came to was that the HP gains were close enough to the point where, a non-hydro-locking intake was worth the peace of mind.

The FIPK definitely sounds a LOT better than stock and I'm pretty sure everyone on the board who has added one can attest. The installation was easy, you don't need to cut anything away (V2 I think you do?), and I could tell that the car was a little faster (some will say it was placebo). Regardless, for $250ish the sound alone is worth it.
Old 12-07-2010, 08:18 AM

I did a lot of research too and for peace of mind I got a FIPK and AUT cooling plate (should be in the mail now ).

But why did you get an AUT cooling plate if you went with AEM V2? The cooling plate purpose, if I am correct, is to route the air toward your intake, but if you got a V2 which is located at a different spot... the plate then becomes totaly useless...
Old 12-07-2010, 08:35 AM

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

i'd say the stock intake is as good as it gets. just get a HFC and your good to go. the most restrictive part is the cat, free that up and you will free some ponies too.
Old 12-07-2010, 09:24 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

an intake will gain some midrange power for sure. but for non heatsoak purposes i went with the AEM on my s2k and i DEFINITELY gained midrange power. The car also never got heatsoaked anymore.
Old 12-07-2010, 10:18 AM

the AUT plate I bought used and it was a great deal. Plus it looks pretty lol. The AEM seems not to get heat soaked like the testing on the FIPK. I just dont wanna worry about the water adding up in the tube. I have always used AEMs on my other cars and loved them this is the first time I have heard about a bad design which sucks lol

to the user that has the AEM do you have the V2 did you put any thing around it to stop the dip issue???
Old 12-07-2010, 10:47 AM

...heat soak is often an issue that is worried about too much, especially regarding the FIPK. It'll only really happen when your car has been running and you're at a standstill. So once your car gets moving to whatever speed, the air cycling through the engine components will remove the heat. Ie. when your car is moving, you will hardly experience heat soak.

To me, experiencing the minute amount of heat soak, so little that it probably isn't even an element, is a much better trade off than the possibility of nailing a huge puddle and hydro locking your engine.

K&N and some others have dynoed the s2k with the FIPK on and it gained around 10 hp under the curve. By far the best performance mod for under $500 I would say. It's easy, safe, effective, and sounds amazing.
Old 12-07-2010, 07:43 PM

I was in the same position as you about a month ago, except I hadn't ordered anything. I researched until I was sick of reading, swallowed my pride, and just asked what other people thought. I decided to go with the popular vote and get the K&N, even though I was leaning towards AEM. Here was my thread:

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=829365
Old 12-08-2010, 05:12 AM

Heat soak makes a huge difference. Run your stock tube and filter with out the box and you will see a noticeable drop in performance. Also, as long as you don't drive through any deep puddles, lakes or rivers you won't hydrolock your motor. Unless you cut your wheel well to make it fit and your tire is flinging water on your filter. I've ran cold air intake for 10 years on an accord then a prelude. Never had a problem. The aem v2 gains a ton of midrange. My ap1 feels like an ap2 right before vtec. Plus the car pulls harder from 8-9 when before the power would remain stagnant.

Quick Reply: help with intake question AEM V2 or FIPK