S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help identifying whirring noise

Old 10-08-2013, 07:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by njmatt
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1380836592' post='22809846
90% chance your noise is from the collars.
I thought that might be the culprit. When I found those it was sort of a relief. I don't know much about them but it appears that they essentially convert the existing diff mounts to solid mounts. I can definitely see how they might transmit and amplify drive train noise throughout the chassis.

I believe these are also why my car shifts very harsh and is sensitive to rev matching. If you don't get the shift exactly right, the car tends to jerk (my 6 puck clutch might also have something to do with this). It does seem to have an improved throttle response compared to my old s2000, though.

Does anyone know how hard these are to remove? I daily drive my car and I don't really need the added benefit from these collars. I feel like they might also add additional stress to the drive train since the collars don't absorb energy like bushings do. Will I need to remove the differential completely or just unbolt the mounts and pop off the collars?

Really appreciate everyone's help!
Bump to see if anyone has any thoughts on removing these? They seem easy enough to remove, but is it possible that the pressure from the collars might have damaged the bushings underneath?

Thanks
Old 03-07-2015, 10:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello all!

I had a little incident last week with my AP2. I've been searching around to try and get as much information as I can get.

To start off I have a 2008 Rio. 49,000 miles. It's on KW V3's dropped about 1.5-2 inches. I was getting into a parking structure which had these yellow hemispherical looking speed bumps. I had my 250lbs friend in the passenger. I always go extremely slow over the speed bumps because I frequent this parking lot, but this time as my rear end went over the bumps, I heard a loud clunk and scrape from the right rear, below the passenger, and it felt as if I hit something hard.

After driving it a few more days, I have noticed a whirring noise develop much like the OP's description. From the right rear bottom, it is more noticeable depending at higher speeds, especially 68-71mph, and if you are going at that speed and kick it into neutral, the noise is still present. The vehicle drives the same, accelerates and decelerates the same, but that noise, it is just really annoying me. It's not loud, but I hate that it's there now, which tells me something isn't right.

Any ideas?