S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help identify oil leak!

Old 10-06-2019, 07:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help identify oil leak!

Just noticed some oil leak while changing the exhaust. Its from two areas it seems? First from the engine oil plug? And second from the transmission? Gonna order a bunch of parts anyway, but what parts do I need to get this fixed you think? Gaskets?

Just leak on this side, dry on the other
Old 10-06-2019, 11:10 AM

Received 1,655 Likes on 981 Posts

Kinda hard to tell from the pictures, but the best way is to clean things up pretty well and then keep a sharp eye on it each time you drive so you can easily pinpoint the leak.

If it is coming from a fill/drain bolt, a new crush washer to proper torque value will stop any leaks there. Don't try to over torque it on an old crush washer; you don't want to risk stripping/damaging the existing bolt threads.
Old 10-06-2019, 12:05 PM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

most of those leaks start much higher up around the valvecover and drip down towards those areas below. Even oil that is spilled whiile being poured into the oil fill hole can cause excess oil to drip down to the lower parts. Like cosmo said clean it up and monitor it further. Take a bright flashlight and look around all edges of the valvecover and back portion of the engine from above looking down, you will like find sources of leakage starting at the top of the engine and working their way down below. The valvecover is the biggest source of leakage for a number of reasons, worn gaskets and improper installation are usually the culprits.
Old 10-06-2019, 01:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ty for answer guys! Will do a cleanup and monitor it.
Old 10-06-2019, 08:48 PM

Received 1,490 Likes on 1,003 Posts

My guess: see the clean area above arrow? This indicated fresh oil is leaking at this point. My WAG, the aluminum crush washer is bad, on the drain bolt. Your car seems to have another oil leak further forward. Possible seal on prop shaft input.

Last edited by windhund116; 10-06-2019 at 08:51 PM.
Old 10-07-2019, 03:23 AM

Received 108 Likes on 89 Posts

check the back of a valve cover, mine leaks from here due to a pinched gasket. Need to take it off and replace.
Old 10-07-2019, 08:34 AM

Received 1,313 Likes on 997 Posts

For oil that is making its way down around the drain plug (Assuming it is not coming from the drain plug), check around and under the VTEC solenoid. When it leaks, it will make its way down there. But as mentioned clean it up and then check it regularly to see where it is all coming from.

Seeing as how it looks like the oil on the oil pan is coming from the front instead of the side, it may not be the VTEC solenoid, but still doesnt hurt to check. Based upon it seemingly coming down in multiple places I would pay close attention to the valve cover as many have mentioned. Valve cover, cam gear bolt on the front of the head, VTEC solenoid are all common culprits
Old 10-07-2019, 08:44 AM

Received 1,385 Likes on 1,037 Posts

Agree with previous posts. It appears leak is coming from higher than drain plug (and it is dripping from where red arrow shows, but that would happen if it were leaking from drain plug OR from somewhere higher up, as that is the lowest spot. It'll go to lowest point, then drip from there.)

Hopefully its just one leak, not two. If its one leak, and its getting both front and back of motor wet, that points to valve cover. I bet someone did a poor job resealing it after a valve adjustment (either gasket was too old, too hardened to reuse, or they managed to pinch it or have it shift during install.)
Old 10-10-2019, 08:28 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

When I got my S2000 (10 years ago, almost) it appeared to have a small leak where the transmission joins the engine, implying the rear main seal. Cleaned it up, and it's never reappeared. Pretty sure someone missed while pouring oil.
Old 10-11-2019, 03:32 AM

Received 3,543 Likes on 2,545 Posts

Originally Posted by climhazzard
When I got my S2000 (10 years ago, almost) it appeared to have a small leak where the transmission joins the engine, implying the rear main seal. Cleaned it up, and it's never reappeared. Pretty sure someone missed while pouring oil.
yup spilling oil around the fill hole/cap will cause excess oil to end up in that location. Hate to admit having done that at times myself, lol.

Quick Reply: Help identify oil leak!