S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help!! I cant figure this noise out

Old 08-22-2020, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help!! I cant figure this noise out

Spoiler

Any one ever experienced this squeaking/squealing noise before?? Only Happens when engine is warm (does not happen on cold start) and being started warm also can be heard most of the time at idle but not as much & when releasing into first gear. (Video of both scenarios attached)

Took the serpentine belt off and started it and same noise, jacked the car up and the definitely sounded like it was coming from the CRANK PULLEY, replaced it and same thing but the noise is more just coming and going now and not there all the time. Brought it to a trusted mechanic and he could not source anything of the noise either.

Any help or advice is appreciated, thank you. LINK TO YOUTUBE VIDEO BELOW....

​​​​​​

Last edited by luca.s2k; 08-22-2020 at 08:02 AM.
Old 08-22-2020, 07:29 PM
Gold Member (Premium)

Received 1,539 Likes on 1,043 Posts

Vacuum leak?
The following users liked this post:
luca.s2k (08-22-2020)
Old 08-22-2020, 08:16 PM

Received 78 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by windhund116
Vacuum leak?
I first thought whistle from the intake but the last clip also makes it sound like a little bit of a rattle/something loose.
Old 08-22-2020, 08:34 PM

Originally Posted by Zer0ne
I first thought whistle from the intake but the last clip also makes it sound like a little bit of a rattle/something loose.
Exactly what it sounds like a lose bolt/nut or something LOL, this has been a tough one as it comes and goes now
Old 09-01-2020, 05:23 AM

BUMP, I replaced the tensioner pulley bearing, idler pulley bearing, found an exhaust leak and had it fixed. The noise is still there. Serp belt is in good shape and shows no sign of wear. ANY Help is appreciated. It’s getting annoying as hell
Old 09-01-2020, 07:06 AM

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,101 Posts

That to me is a squeak from something rattlingmoving. It smooths out and stops at higher rpm it sounds like and starts up again when starting to accelerate. So I would look for items that could move when the engine moves. The aftermarket intake maybe? Lay your hand (with gloves on if stuff is hot) on things like the intake and other items that could be moving around and see if the sound changes/stops. Could also be fender mounts that are vibrating with engine vibration causing them to squeak if they are a little loose.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
That to me is a squeak from something rattlingmoving. It smooths out and stops at higher rpm it sounds like and starts up again when starting to accelerate. So I would look for items that could move when the engine moves. The aftermarket intake maybe? Lay your hand (with gloves on if stuff is hot) on things like the intake and other items that could be moving around and see if the sound changes/stops. Could also be fender mounts that are vibrating with engine vibration causing them to squeak if they are a little loose.
ive retightened both fenders (each bolt) I’ve checked the heat shields as well and gave them a little re tightening to be sure and the sound is still there, I have not checked the intake so I guess that shall be next in my list.

the noise sounds like it’s coming from the crank pulley area for sure, it’s been a tough one for me, the sound doesn’t get better or worse and it comes and goes.
Old 09-01-2020, 07:56 AM

Received 1,471 Likes on 1,101 Posts

also check radiator mounts and anything connected to the radiator. Those sounds would possibly sound like they were in that same area.
Old 09-01-2020, 08:14 AM

Originally Posted by engifineer
also check radiator mounts and anything connected to the radiator. Those sounds would possibly sound like they were in that same area.
Thank you for the info, will be checking into these tomorrow morning and see what I can find!
Old 09-01-2020, 09:43 AM

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,039 Posts

I think it is something loose, particularly a bolt rattling on something else that magnifies the noise. As you change rpm you reach the resonate level causing a real increase in vibration of the affected part.

Quick Reply: Help!! I cant figure this noise out