S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP: Horrible sound: Bad wheel bearing?

Old 08-23-2004, 02:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default HELP: Horrible sound: Bad wheel bearing?

I started to notice a sound coming from my right rear wheel whenever i was moving. It picks up speed the faster I go so it is obviously something on the wheel. It doesn't do it when I brake so it isn't the brakes. I drove around a parking lot yerterday really slow next to cars so I could hear the sound better. It has gotten worse and louder and sounds like a grinding sound. It started a few weeks ago. I put the Vortech SC on 2 months ago. I was told by a mechanic (after giving him this same story and description) that I have a bad wheel bearing and will need a new hub as well. He said this is common after adding a lot of power (SC). What do you think? Loud grinding sound that gets faster and faster the faster I go. Thanks for your help.

-Anthony
Old 08-23-2004, 06:12 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It is probably your wheel bearing, but it has nothing to do with your new power. I have an '02 that had both rear wheel bearings fail before 40K miles. I have also had a friend (elistan), who has an '00 that had 1 rear bearing fail. All three bearings also scored the hubs when the inner races started spinning on the hub. The skinny is that Honda under-engineered our rear bearings.

I replaced both of my hub / bearings and elistan's hub and bearing in a short period of time. The only special tools you need are a ball joint puller, Helm's manual, and a local shop with a bearing puller. I just carried the hub assemblies (off the car) to the shop, and they pressed the old hub and bearings out and new hub and bearings back in. Just make damn sure the shop pays attention to the proper orientation of the new bearing, since they are not quite symmetrical. My shop assumed they were symmetrical once, and it was a sever pain flipping it back over.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah i had the same problem on my left rear bearing. Many owners have complained to a clicking sound from the rear when accelerating from a stop, this was due to the spindle nut that needed to be re-torqued, it was a honda tsb. With the somewhat loose spindle nut it provides too much play and unneccessary wear on the wheel bearing. which if not caught soon enough means it will wear the hub.

my only advice is don't go to the dealer to get this fixed, if you can do it yourself. It ended up costing me a little over $900 to fix... they changed the rear brakes (they didn't need to be changed), BOTH rear wheel bearings and hubs (when only one was out)... yeah they got me good.
Old 08-23-2004, 07:24 PM

Originally Posted by ahbongkadah,Aug 23 2004, 08:15 PM
my only advice is don't go to the dealer to get this fixed, if you can do it yourself. It ended up costing me a little over $900 to fix... they changed the rear brakes (they didn't need to be changed), BOTH rear wheel bearings and hubs (when only one was out)... yeah they got me good.
You got ed
Old 08-23-2004, 09:37 PM

I have read about the CV wear, how do the signs and symptoms compare and how do you rule it out, short of a teardown ??
Old 08-23-2004, 10:35 PM

I have never heard of a CV going out on a S2k. As long as the CV boots are not torn and filled with grease, there is no reason it should fail unless you hit something or you are putting down some serious power the the wheels.

If the a CV was bad, you may hear a repetitive clicking sound upon acceleration untill about 20 mph.
Old 08-23-2004, 10:44 PM

Hey Anthonymv

Sounds like your having some bad luck, first the belt than this.
I had a torn cv boot before. I caught it before any major damage occured. My right rear clicks. I had the nut replaced and tightened once but it still does it.
Old 08-24-2004, 05:32 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Are you saying the noise goes away when you put the brakes on? Does the noise still happen when you just coast in neutral? Does it make the noise worse when turning to one side or the other?
Old 08-24-2004, 08:14 AM

I've had both inner CV joints replaced under warranty (TSB). That particular problem is a roar only on acceleration - back off and it disappears.

Another thing to look at is the dust shield on the rear brakes. While your description doesn't really sound like this is the problem, I had an issue last week where I wasn't careful changing to/from autocross tires and the wheel hit the shield. It was just enough to rub the rotor, making a metal-on-metal scraping sound. I just pushed the shields out of the way and no more noise. You *might* get lucky (yeah, right!)...
Old 08-24-2004, 09:29 AM

I already have the clicking rear which I hear is the CV joint. The sound I am talking about is coming distinctly from the right rear and is a grinding sound. It happens whenever I am moving, so neutral or while in gear. It gets faster and faster the faster I go. It stops if I make a sharp turn and it happens regardless of whether or not I am braking. The clicking rear is a separate issue, this sounds like I am grinding something and it has gotten quite bad. I dont want to order a new bearing and hub if that isnt the prob but I dont see what else it could be. Thanks for everyone's help.

-Anthony

Quick Reply: HELP: Horrible sound: Bad wheel bearing?