S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help With Honda Dealer and Buzz Under Deceleration

Old 09-07-2004, 09:49 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Honda Dealer and Buzz Under Deceleration

I just purchased my 2001 S2000 this previous weekend, and it's somewhat obvious that the car is suffering from the TSB 00-054...or the buzzing due to gearlash under deceleration. Now I talked to my Honda dealer about the issue and they fed me some BS about if the car was driven hard then this issue wouldn't be covered under their goodwill warranty, even though harsh driving apparently would have nothing to do with this issue. The car is about 4 months out of warranty, due to the time limit and not the mileage (only 25,XXX miles). I can almost be certain that this car was not abused (Mookie on this board took excellent care of the vehicle). Now my question is this...how do I approach the situation? They want to look at the transmission before they talk to Honda about doing it under their good will warranty, and they said that if they determine that there has been misabuse, then I'm stuck with the bill. Biggest problem that I see, is that the Transmission has nothing to do with the TSB...all that gets done through the TSB is a change of the clutch disc. Any help or experience witht this TSB through dealers would be helpful. Sorry for the long post....thanks in advance!!
Old 09-08-2004, 10:38 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Get a copy of the TSB and take your car to a different Honda dealer. Explain to them in friendly but firm terms that this is something that needs to get fixed per the TSB. Warranty expiration should not have anything to do with TSB implementation, although dealers try to make this connection.

If necessary take take the Honda service writer or mechanic on a ride with you to confirm the buzz, then find a car on their lot Model year 02/03 and compare your car's noise with their car.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:18 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Honda is under no obligation to to take care of this. Neither is the dealer. A TSB is not a recall or a mandated repair. TSB's are to aid the techs in repairs. There are plenty of other tsb's for our S. Trying to make them do it would be like saying I want every tsb done to my S. If that were the case, most cars would be in the shop forever since TSB come out weekly. If you are nice enough and find a willing dealer, Honda might goodwill some of it and you pay some of it. You are after all out of warrenty.
I am not trying to be a d%$k, but a TSB is not an automatic repair.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I'm not implying that the TSB is a recall by any means, but it's something that Honda puts out there to fix their cars because something was designed incorrectly. Anyone else...?
Old 09-08-2004, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

David1 is right; however, if you are persistent and polite but firm you may get some satisfaction. Keep in mind that the car is driveable as is. It' not like you're unable to use your used, out-of-warranty vehicle.
Old 09-08-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

It's just noise. That's all the clutch buzz is. It does not affect the function or performance of the powertrain. This being the case, how important is it to you to try to eliminate a noise that has been known to come back very shortly after the job has been done? Do you really want to risk them taking the tranny apart and then telling you it's not covered, only to hand you a bill for putting it back together?

I've gone nearly 4 years with this buzz and it's not big deal for many of us. It just depends on what you want.