S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP! hard to shift into any gears

Old 10-02-2008, 05:53 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! hard to shift into any gears

hey guys
my car is a 2001 and it is really hard to get into gears. I bleed the clutch, changed transmission fluid to honda MTF. Like it is impossible to get the car in reverse, so what i do is cut the car off, put it in reverse then start it back up so i can back out my drive way. everything shifts smooth and perfectly when the car is off, but once its started hot or cold i feel like i have to slam the shifter into gears for it to go. Any suggestion on what it could be? clutch? tranny is bad? but if the tranny is bad it wont even engaged in gear when the car is off right?

cliffs: hard to shift in any gear, have to cut the car off to put in reverse.
hot or cold condition its the same
what could cause my s2000 to not engage in gears normally and smoothly?

thanks for the help in advanced guys
Old 10-02-2008, 06:46 AM

Does it grind going into gear or can you not get it in gear at all? I had a piece of the clutch disk break off into the pressure plate about 3 laps into a track day last spring. As I rounded the track it got harder and harder to get into gear. WHen I parked it it was impossible to get into a gear, I had to turn it off and start it in gear and even then it was quite hard to shift into the next gear. Just a stab at the darke here, I'm sure someone else with more drivetrain knowledge will chime in here.
Old 10-02-2008, 07:41 AM

is there air in your clutch fluid line?
Old 10-02-2008, 08:42 AM

Does the car want to move when you're stopped, even though the clutch pedal is on the floor?

If so, it's a dragging clutch (incomplete disengagement). Could be due to air in the hydraulics, or something mechanical in the clutch itself (as per slipangle79).

If the car has no tendency to move when stoped, then then the problem is something in the transmission.
Old 10-02-2008, 12:11 PM

I'm not sure about that S2K, but in my Integra I had this problem and it turned out to be the clutch master cylinder, its under the dash and it was leaky and I just replaced it and bled the clutch and tada! it was fixxed. maybe try that?
Old 10-02-2008, 12:50 PM

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts

yap im thinking the master/slave cylinders too. check your engagement, make the engagement point as high as possible and see what happens.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:46 PM

there is no air in my clutch line my mechanic changed the tranny fluid and we bleed the clutch to make sure there was no air in there. he said the only thing left that it could be is the clutch/pressure plate or something.
Old 10-02-2008, 10:49 PM

the clutch catches pretty much almost all the way out. whats a good stage 1 clutch to go with? and how much is a master slave cyl?

it doesnt grind going in gear, just so hard to put it in gear i have to force it with lil strength effort lol
Old 10-03-2008, 02:35 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep bleeding the clutch until you're sick of it, and then bleed it some more! You will be fine after all the air is out of it.
Old 10-08-2008, 07:13 AM

still not working....

Quick Reply: HELP! hard to shift into any gears