S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP! FIPK intake install...

Old 01-13-2006, 06:04 AM

Sly Stamps and the Family Stone's Avatar

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP! FIPK intake install...

Hello all,

I just bought the FIPK intake and yesterday I did a test fitting of all the parts before they went in my car.

The problem I ran into is that the filter adapter (the part that holds the filter) does not fit on to the intake pipe. Its diameter is about 4mm too small... I added a picture so people won't be confused... I'm not talking about the gap that twilight dancer is referring too...

The arrows point to the piece in question.

I tried to force it on.. but its not an elastic piece at all... I'm beginning to think they packaged the wrong sized part.. please tell me I'm wrong!

Thanks
Old 01-13-2006, 06:29 AM

Sly,

I had the same problem with my FIPK. I have seen people force it into place but it seems to be the norm to have that gap. There are other makers that use the same principle as the FIPK for different vehicles and they also have a slight gap in the interface. Did you try a search on it? There are tons of people with the K&N that have the same issue.

I doubt its anything to worry about. If you are really worried, call K&N. You can also do a DYI approach. Just go buy the same soft plastic tube that they use for the induction box (the part that seals the box against the hood once it is closed) and line the hole where the intake goes into the box. It should be snug about now and you don't have to worry about vibration since the rubber will work as vibration isolators.
Old 01-13-2006, 06:34 AM

Thanks for the reply,

I was actually referring to the black ring piece that goes on the end of the pipe... it doesn't fit. The gap around the pipe does not bother me...
Old 01-13-2006, 07:17 AM

Added pics...
Old 01-13-2006, 08:12 AM

I did not have any issues when i installed my filter, so most likely they have packaged the wrong part.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:16 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

hmmmm. if i remember correctly mine went on fine. it was snug but i was able to get it on.....maybe try using some vasiline or something to lube up the area. (man that sounded bad). it might help it slide on easier tho.
Old 01-13-2006, 08:19 AM

Thanks all for the reply... I guess it must be the wrong part because it is definately too small.. even if i lubed it up... =( what a pain
Old 01-13-2006, 09:10 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

I had a hard time getting it on, turn your sink on and put the water to its hottest setting. Once it gets very hot fill a bowl up with water and drop the piece into it for about 30 seconds. That should make it pliable enough to put the filter over it!
Old 01-13-2006, 09:18 AM

^ that's a great suggestion! I'm having trouble putting the adapter on the pipe, not putting the filter on the adapter... but I think your suggestion is worth a shot! Thanks!
Old 01-13-2006, 10:06 AM

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

ah, yeah that was a pita to do as well as putting the pipe onto the throttle body. The hot water will solve the problem though, good luck!

Quick Reply: HELP! FIPK intake install...