S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help! Engine knock

Old 10-10-2014, 08:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Engine knock

Need some advice here. Long story long just bought my s2000 in May and last month had a knocking sound in my engine. To me it sounded like a rod-knock. Bonehead move #1 : I took it to the local honda dealership to have themcheck it out because I had a 1 year, 12000 mile powertrain warranty from honda dealership I bought it from. Turns out warranty didn't cover it citing a code for an overrev. Dealership said it was sounded like was coming from the valves and would be $2200 to teardown and diagnose. Wanting baby back I authorized them to do the work : Bonehead move #2. They shipped the cylinder head off to a machine shop and said they found a bent valve, replaced it, and machined the surface. Everything was put back together and they said there was another sound coming from the bottom of the engine citing a possible broken piston wrist pin. So far I'm 3800 in and still have a knock. It would be 1600 to tear down the bottom block and inspect the pistons. At this point I am considering just replacing the motor. I'm going to the dealership this afternoon and will probably just try and get my car back with the knock and get the work done somewhere else. Thoughts? Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:46 PM

Received 1,647 Likes on 979 Posts

Find a good shop nearby and go there. Remember even though the H on the S stands for Honda, this car shares zero parts with any other car made by Honda. I have found virtually no mechanic at dealers have ever, ever worked on an S before. Its brand new to them.
Old 10-10-2014, 12:56 PM

Received 465 Likes on 397 Posts

Originally Posted by cosmomiller
Find a good shop nearby and go there. Remember even though the H on the S stands for Honda, this car shares zero parts with any other car made by Honda. I have found virtually no mechanic at dealers have ever, ever worked on an S before. Its brand new to them.
X2
Old 10-10-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stay FAR away from dealership mechanics with the S. Take video of said knock and post it here. I guarantee you that Billman can give you a better diagnosis with a 30 second video than any dealer mechanic can tearing the block apart. A true mechanic can diagnose an issue, they dont start throwing parts at it hoping they get lucky.
Old 10-10-2014, 02:34 PM

Before you take the car back be as nice as you can and talk to the service manger about your bill. Seeing that you spent so much money and your issue is not fully fixed they may very well try to help you out if you bring up your concern.

Worth a shot
Old 10-10-2014, 05:51 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Where are you located OP? I specialize in building S2000 motors and driveline components. If you're somewhat local to me, I can get you squared away for a much more reasonable price than any dealer would ever charge you. Satisfaction is my #1 goal and doing a few searches will find many happy customers that have driven great distances to come to me for my work. Hope I can help you out.
Old 10-10-2014, 06:11 PM

What year is your car and how many miles do you have?
Old 10-11-2014, 06:10 AM

Received 56 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Where are you located OP? I specialize in building S2000 motors and driveline components. If you're somewhat local to me, I can get you squared away for a much more reasonable price than any dealer would ever charge you. Satisfaction is my #1 goal and doing a few searches will find many happy customers that have driven great distances to come to me for my work. Hope I can help you out.
From my time on S2ki, I can say I have read nothing but good things about both him and Billman. In fact I was going to suggest getting it to one of them
Old 10-11-2014, 06:16 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by bgoetz
Originally Posted by jordanksartell' timestamp='1412992311' post='23365308
From my time on S2ki, I can say I have read nothing but good things about both him and Billman. In fact I was going to suggest getting it to one of them
Old 10-11-2014, 06:52 AM

Received 1,338 Likes on 810 Posts

Yet another thread bringing the dealers overwhelming incompetence to light.

How about a guaranteed bulletproof job, done right the first time?

Dealers your pathetic work is speaking for itself. Anyone reading this, if you love wasting money AND getting the worst excuse in the world for repairs, by all means stop on in.

Quick Reply: Help! Engine knock