S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help on deciding what to do with a motor!

Old 04-20-2012, 02:36 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help on deciding what to do with a motor!

Hey guys,
So I recently picked up a block for my S, thinking I could just bore it out and hone it, without knowing about FRM and our type of sleeves. The block is basically too messed up to bore it( It is pretty bad and scared), and I learned this reading this thread.

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/839...#entry20093380

I liked that one of the guys pointed 3 options for the person looking for help but...
I read the whole thread and I'm still pretty confuse. Can I get new sleeves for my motor since some people were saying we don't have
sleeves?!(which to me it did'nt make sense.) And I'm pretty sure my sleeves are too messed up for them to get bored and honed.
I want my motor as stock as possible since I didn't even get to enjoy a stock s2000 for long=(. I am not planning to go force induction with my car but maybe a high compression build later.

I done my research and what I've been finding out is that "building" the motor might even be a cheaper route than trying to make a stock F20c block again=(.

So can I ditch FRM If I basically want a stock F20c? or should I just get new sleeves and what type If possible? Should I be looking for another short block?

Please help me!...I'm so frustrated because I don't know what to do or what route to take!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:56 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You can sleeve the motor with Darton, Benson, whatever sleeves you want. Pair that with some high compression after market pistons (non turbo) and you have a stocklike bottom end that just can handle more power. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking for a good condition block. You're going through a lot of headache just to stay at stock power if your sleeving and building an engine. What happened to the original engine that's in the car?
Old 04-20-2012, 04:59 PM

Originally Posted by s2klariat
You can sleeve the motor with Darton, Benson, whatever sleeves you want. Pair that with some high compression after market pistons (non turbo) and you have a stocklike bottom end that just can handle more power. If I were in your shoes I'd be looking for a good condition block. You're going through a lot of headache just to stay at stock power if your sleeving and building an engine. What happened to the original engine that's in the car?
It threw a rod=( ...I got the block that I got for really cheap though. SO yea, basically I got 4 plus the other 4 pistons that are good from the original engine, though its not worth it re-using them If I'm getting new sleeves.
So without aftermarket sleeves and pistons I can still rev to 9k with no problem, If so, which aftermarket pistons and sleeves do u recommend?!
Old 04-20-2012, 10:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If it is so bad that you can't just hone it and install stock pistons, then you are going to spend at least 2k. I will sell you a good to go short block for way less than that.

PM me your phone number if you text, and I will get you on the road for a very reasonable cost.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
Old 04-21-2012, 02:03 PM

Originally Posted by DFWs2k
If it is so bad that you can't just hone it and install stock pistons, then you are going to spend at least 2k. I will sell you a good to go short block for way less than that.

PM me your phone number if you text, and I will get you on the road for a very reasonable cost.

Sent using free Tapatalk - Android FTW
PM'd u ...but yea, it really is that bad. I'll post some pics of the block today. I got then money for a good short block or just getting new sleeves and pistons, just don't know which route to take.
Old 04-21-2012, 07:37 PM
bdo

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

You said you want your motor as stock as possible... In that case I think your best bet is to just buy a good condition stock short block. That way it's simple and you're not likely to have future headaches with it. Good luck.
Old 04-22-2012, 07:03 AM
Banned

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

there is no such thing as the "honda" hone.

any machine shop can bore and hone frm. The boring process is the same as any other block, no changes needed there. To hone the block the machine shop will need to contact the manufacturer of their honing machine to obtain the proper stones. The stones for FRM are just much finer grit that normal.. thats it.

also, you will need to use a deck plate for final honing and only 0.25mm oversize pistons are available.
Old 04-23-2012, 12:49 AM

I cannot restore the block...the sleeves that are in the block right now are already to the point that I cannot get them bored and honed. There's no such thing as "Honda hone."
And wadzii, what do u mean any machine shop can bore and hone FRM? Can they really contact IDK..Honda, to supposely obtain proper stones for FRM?
I want more info on this cuz what I been finding out its that If the scratches are too deep, the FRM sleeves are useless, Even Honda told me I cannot even hone it when the sleeves are that bad.
Guys my biggest problem is that I live in f@#king Alaska lol...I cannot find a good short block anywhere in town, and unless magically I can actually get this sleeves bored and honed, I have to start looking for sleeves and pistons, but Idk what sleeves or pistons I should get.
P.S. Our Honda dealer doesn't even keep s2000 or NSX parts in stock besides oil filters cuz of the so little few S2k's and NSX we have in town...and no one can do Dart sleeves here in Anchorage so that's not an option. Damn I wish I lived in Cali or something right now lol.