S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP! Convertible Top Doesn't Work...

Old 05-24-2004, 07:55 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thx x. I'll have the e-brake switch tested.
Old 05-24-2004, 07:12 PM

Just ran a simple test to see if maybe the brake light being "on" all the time was contributing to the problem. Basically, I forced the floating device in the master cylinder to stay up with a carefully placed screwdriver, so that the brake light turned off when the ebrake was down. Then, I raised the ebrake so that the brake light came on again, and tried to lower the top. No dice.

Old 05-24-2004, 07:26 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I can assume you have checked all of the fuses for the top? There are several fuses that are on ther power side of the top control unit, as well as 2 20A fuses for each motor.
Old 05-25-2004, 07:14 AM

You should remove the passenger dash cover and check out the convertible top module. In the following notes, "Big conn" refers to the big connector on the left side of the convertible top module, "little conn" is the smaller connector on the right.

There are 3 "safety" circuits on the convertible top module:

1. E-brake switch - disables top motors if NOT grounded. Check Big conn grn/wht wire for a ground when E-brake is UP
2. VSS sensor - disables top motors if car is moving. You might try cutting/disconnecting the small connector wht/blk wire, which is the VSS wire. It defeats the "speed safety" in case there's somethign wrong with it. Worst case - the top will operate even if the car is moving.

3. Hard-top switch - disables top motors if top is installed. Check the little conn light grn wire - a ground on this wire will disable the top motors.

There are 5 fuses associated with the top:

F55 20A Main under-hood fuse box, Left top motor, Big conn gray wire, hot always
F52 20A Main under-hood fuse box, Right top motor, Big conn gray/red wire, hot always

F5 7.5A Under-dash fuse box, module power, Little conn yel wire, hot with ign ON
This fuse is good, it also controls the gauges & power steering so you would notice it if it was bad

F25 7.5A Under-dash fuse box, module power, Big conn wht/red wire, hot always
This fuse is good, also controls gauges and ECM

F18 20A, under-dash fuse box, power, Big conn blu/blk, hot always
This fuse appears to be just for the window function built into the convertible top module but I can't say for sure. Check for +12v on the blu/blk wire.

F12 15A Under-dash fuse box, Top switch in console,
Since it controls the wipers too, it's probably good. But check these wires on the convertible top module anyway:
Big conn red/blk, +12 when "open" pressed
Big conn red/yel, +12 when "close" pressed

Here's the convertible top module behind the passenger dash cover. The pliers are shown makeing a connection to the VSS wire.
Old 05-25-2004, 08:05 AM

modifry, I will follow your carefully laid out instructions and report back. May not be until this weekend though, since work is keeping me hella busy.

Thank you, sir!
Old 06-04-2004, 07:14 PM

Well, CoralDoc and I tested pretty much everything modifry suggested today, and everything checked out ok. Fuses and connections are good, etc. Top still won't work. Beginning to think it's AEM related, or perhaps some wires were crossed when they did my gauge install. I'll be taking it back to my mech at the performance shop to troubleshoot further, and will report back.

Thanks again for all your suggestions, guys.
Old 07-18-2004, 02:46 PM

UPDATE: Well, after 3 months w/out a working convertible, we finally discovered a fix for the problem. It is far from ideal, but it does allow for the top to go up and down again. What we had to do was to connect the green switch connector for the hardtop with the soft top switch connector via a ground wire.

Soft top switch now:

Hard top switch now:

I have no idea why this was necessary. Maybe modifry or someone with greater knowledge of the electrical conduits can explain it. For now, I'm just glad to have my convertible back.