S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP WITH COCKPIT WIND NOISE

Old 06-02-2012, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP WITH COCKPIT WIND NOISE

I am an ex owner of an 03' Suzuka Blue AP1.

Recently purchsed a Silverstone AP2. Since day 1 i got lots of noise from the top and i thought some hard top strikers would seal it and solve the problem. installed OEM Honda Hardtop strikers and my problem is now worse. now rather than getting windnoise after 40 mph i get it at 20 MPH. the top seals nicely in the corners but in the middle i have a big gap. my top also takes a bit of pulling to get it to fall into place correctly. any ideas on what this could be?

instaling hardtop strikers:

seal with hardtop strikers:

gap with hardtop strikers:

Random Pics for reference

Sound Clip:
Old 06-02-2012, 05:28 PM

It looks like your top is bowed a little bit. But my noise was eliminated with weather stripping. It may not be appearing but it WORKS!
Old 06-02-2012, 07:01 PM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Is it hard to pull your latches shut when you close your soft top? Is it really easy to unlatch, or do your latches sometimes catch the strikers during unlatching when you are trying to open the top?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:36 PM

the rubber seal around the top needs to be replaced.. one of the doors on my father inlaws truck did the same thing... once the weather stiping was replaced it stoped the sound... the thing is if the top was down alot in the midwest anyway it gets cold and hot alot and the rubber actually sags and gets fragile over time therefore cousing the rubber weather striping to fale faster then expected... the stuff shouldnt be expensive...... i would give that a try b4 u try something crazier
Old 06-02-2012, 07:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm thinking the front frame of the top is tweaked, maybe a BBW homecoming queen sat on it with the top down in a parade???
Old 06-02-2012, 08:08 PM

like i siad, my top doesnt fall straight onto the strikers like it did on my old s2000. it like overshoots. in these pictures all i did was pull the top back and then bring it straight up without touching or pulling it. this is the position it lands in

And a video going a bit more into detail. excuse the horrible iphone quality

Old 06-02-2012, 08:53 PM

i have the same exact problem and hav not been able to figure it out myself
Old 06-02-2012, 09:00 PM

if i dont get any solutions from here im going to find a shop here in miami that does top repairs and ill just pay them to figure it out.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:02 PM

lmao yeah maybe the previous dude that owned the car had a couple of fat chicks sitting on the window frame during a parade. honestly though, it could be something with the window frame. my car is a rebuilt title. god knows what hell it's been through
Old 06-03-2012, 07:26 AM

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

I would try the spacer trick under the strikers to pull the top tighter to the frame. I have a few spacers that I fab'ed up myself that I used on my car. It eliminated the wind noise problem I was having at speeds over 60mph. It just causes the top to pull tighter to the seal. It would be my first step before replacing the seal, because if you buy it from Honda it is probably expensive.

I can mail two or four to you if you send me your address in a PM.

Quick Reply: HELP WITH COCKPIT WIND NOISE