S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help! Clutch won't engage!

Old 10-11-2011, 06:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Clutch won't engage!

Guys, I've had my Competition Twin Disc in my S for about 12-14k never tracked nor launched. Last Friday I was leaving work, I start the car and attempt to put the car in first gear and it wouldn't let me. I tried every single gear and I'm completely locked out. It only goes into gear while the vehicle is off and that's obviously because the clutch isn't spinning in motion. I turn the car off and put it into first gear then start the car, as I drive down the street in first, I try second gear and that's when it goes in. I'm completely stumped, I've bled the system numerous times in the past two days and had some air but no change. This happens when my car sits for a long period of time (6-8 hours) in other words when the car is cold. Any clue of what it could be? I'm going crazy and I don't feel like dropping the trans just yet. Much appreciated guys...
Old 10-12-2011, 12:10 PM

It's the clutch master cylinder.
Old 10-12-2011, 03:01 PM

I know the clutch master cylinder has two seals in it and if fluid gets by the first seal then it's no good. Any other idea as to why it would be the clutch master cylinder?

::update:: I changed the trans fluid and did a clutch pedal adjustment but still the same. I had the car in the air and had my buddy tell me if the hydraulic bearing was moving as i pump the clutch pedal and he said yes. Could complete worn out disc cause it not to engage? I've had worn out clutches go bad but not to the point where the transmission won't engage
Old 10-12-2011, 04:36 PM

its probably moving but not enough. Did you check clutch fluid in the reservoir?
Old 10-12-2011, 04:46 PM

Yes there's fluid and I bled the system twice.
Old 10-12-2011, 07:47 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hot news flash: your clutch apparently won't DISENGAGE.
Old 10-12-2011, 08:03 PM

double, triple, quadruple check the bleed. The way the s2k bleeder is set its easy to trap air bubbles.

Only things that can be causing this:
1) clutch slave/master not working properly - if its not leaking fluid its most likely fine other than requiring a proper bleed.
2) Clutch fork worn out or bent
3) clutch fork not seated properly (both pivot or not on release bearing
4) release bearing broken/pressure plate fingers broken (if this were the case, I suspect the fork would not come spring back into place so it'd be obvious

Thats barring any really weird failures in the clutch/pp..hm
Old 10-13-2011, 06:40 AM

Originally Posted by ikeyballz
double, triple, quadruple check the bleed. The way the s2k bleeder is set its easy to trap air bubbles.

Only things that can be causing this:
1) clutch slave/master not working properly - if its not leaking fluid its most likely fine other than requiring a proper bleed.
2) Clutch fork worn out or bent
3) clutch fork not seated properly (both pivot or not on release bearing
4) release bearing broken/pressure plate fingers broken (if this were the case, I suspect the fork would not come spring back into place so it'd be obvious

Thats barring any really weird failures in the clutch/pp..hm
theres no clutch fork, and no slave cylinder. Competition Twin Disc kit comes with a hydraulic bearing and a steel line that eliminates the slave cylinder.
Old 10-13-2011, 02:39 PM

wow, my bad. I totally missed the first line of your first post. How do you bleed a hydraulic bearing?
Old 10-13-2011, 06:57 PM

There's two lines that come out of the trans on for slave and one to bleed the system. I'll post up a pic tomorrow

Quick Reply: Help! Clutch won't engage!