S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help with chassis

Old 04-09-2009, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with chassis

Hello everyone,

I recently crashed my s2000 as I took a corner and oversteered. I hit the side the curb so hard that I ended jumping over the curb and onto someones front yard.

It was late a night so I didnt even bother to look at the car when I drove home as I didnt want to lose any sleep.

Well I woke up and noticed a flat back tire and that the alignment was off. I went to have the tire changed and have the alignment fixed and I was told that they couldnt align the car as the chassis was damaged.

The mechanic communicated to me that the car was fixable but that he himself couldnt fix it and it had to be taken to a repair shop that deals with this kind of matter. He wouldnt give me an answer as to how much such a repair would cost but I got the sense that it would not be cheap. I was told that the back tires are affected.

Does anyone here have any experience with this? How much would such a repair cost?

thanks in advance.
Old 04-09-2009, 02:45 PM

you should post some pics. Also its hard to tell whats damage from pics. There may be things we can't see
Old 04-09-2009, 03:06 PM

might be your control arms are bent.
same thing happen to me.i bent the lower control arm on the driver side. fix it myself control arm cost me 60 bucks.

gl
Old 04-10-2009, 06:39 AM

thanks for the responce.

I just came back from the mechanic shop and it isnt the control arm. He put the car on a lift and right away you notice that the right tire(where the car hit the curb) is bent downward while the left tire i bent upward. He also took measurements. So something is bent. He says he needs a bit to figure out whats going on.

I am just hoping it is not going to be some crazy 2000 dollar job. Wish me luck.

Thanks again.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:35 AM

Hmm.. You must have been going really fast to have tweeked the frame as the s2000 unibody is extremely rigid. My bet is you just bent an arm.
Old 04-10-2009, 07:55 AM

i was racing a GSX down richie hwy here in glenburnie a few years ago. I spun out and hit a curb basicly as you described but i broke the top control arm. when i did this i had to replace. the bent rim, upper and lower control arms and the spindle of course. if you have damage your better off replacing both upper and lower. i had a hook up at cost for the item i believe i paid like 200 - 300 i cant remember off hand but. id pick both up from ebay or a salvage website of some sort.

P.s. There aint no way that a mechanics naked eye can see if that arm is bent i dont care how good he thinks he is. if you hit a curb you bent the control arm or arms
Old 04-11-2009, 09:55 AM

I just got a call from the mechanic letting me know that the subrame is bent.

Excuse my ignorance but I asked if this could be repaired but he says it cannot and that it has to be replaced. He says that the structure of the car is fine..

He gave me an estimate of 2100 dollars for parts and labor but said he can make a few phone calls to find a used one. He warned me that he doesnt know what else can be damaged but he says that for now it looks like it is only the subframe.

does this price sound correct? does this overall sound correct?
Old 04-11-2009, 11:46 AM

Received 80 Likes on 33 Posts

Is it the front subframe or the rear subframe?

I would assume in either case, there would be a significant amount of labor involved to remove and replace. I would think that the front subframe might be more complex. If it's significantly bent, you really don't have much choice but to have it replaced.

He may find a used one in a junk yard, but removing it from a car will take quite a few hours of labor. Either way, you're going to spend some bucks.
Old 04-11-2009, 11:54 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That's a good deal for the work evolved.
Old 04-11-2009, 05:16 PM

Its the rear subframe.

I dont know too much about the inner workings of a car so I was hoping it wouldnt be this kind of problem.

I guess I am going to have to bite the bullet.

Quick Reply: Help with chassis