S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP with Cat converter and smog

Old 12-05-2013, 07:46 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

So I am at the shop for the 3rd morning in a row. The smog guy changed the o2 sensors with denso ($250 for two). He is telling me he heard some rattling noise inside the cat but he thinks the smog will pass now. So I'm just gonna go ahead and have him retest and just get it passed. Just want to get this over with already.

But the guy says he's not too sure what the problem is with the cat and it might not pass smog next time around. Does that sound right?

He says the engine is running too rich and burning lot of fuel. That could have damaged the cat right? It has 206k miles on it so far.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:03 AM

You need to get that cat out of there if there's truly something rattling. It means that a portion of the honeycomb has probably come loose. It'll only do further damage and destroy the secondary O2.

As said before, buy a used one on this forums "for sale" section. Shouldn't pay more than 125$ depending on how low mileage a car it comes off of.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by MR.T
You need to get that cat out of there if there's truly something rattling. It means that a portion of the honeycomb has probably come loose. It'll only do further damage and destroy the secondary O2. As said before, buy a used one on this forums "for sale" section. Shouldn't pay more than 125 depending on how low mileage a car it comes off of.
The smog guy says he can get an aftermarket cat for $350. But for now I just want to get through the smog. I'll look for the used cat and get it replaced soon. Is the cat replacement something easy to do on my own if I had a garage?
Old 12-05-2013, 08:24 AM

I'm not sure because I don't live in Cali, but I heard many of the aftermarket cats are not CA emissions approved. Used cats is the way to go.. hands down.

Yes, really easy to do if you have a SAFE way of jacking up the car. You'll just need the cat, the gaskets and bolts that go on each end. Bolts because yours are more than likely rusted. (Might need a sawzall too) Order everything but the used cat from a honda store online, or go directly to a Honda dealer.
Old 12-05-2013, 08:47 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You said it passed smog faild visual due to cel. Fix cel could be simple issue. If cat were bad you would have faild the sniff test part as well.

Check all vacuum lines for cracks or if line off. Take care of cel first. Then try again.

rattling cat is bad but you said it passed sniffer.

Have a pro put in cat if you are going with aftermarket and not oem.
The aftermarket cat will have alingment issues, lenght, flange and o2 placement issues. Welding may be needed depending on cat. If you go oem cat yes you could diy but oem cat is 600 or so. I used aftermarket cat and had to weld flang from old cat to the new cat to get it to work not that big of a deal if you can weld and fabricate.

just fix cel check vac and sensor connections. You may be able just reset the computer before test. But realy just fix cel first.

lots of shady mechanics love to remove sensor wires and vacuum lines to sell you labor and parts.

another cat option is find a used oem one. Maybe someone running test pipe will sell theirs.

Also i run aftermarket exhaust that may of had something to do with having to weld. But I do remember aftermarket cat being way different than oem.

With miles on your car you should replace cat soon but i bet you can get thru smog without it. I bet you have a sensor connection or vac line off. Leaning vac line without seeing your car.
Old 12-06-2013, 05:40 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by icecreamballer
So I am at the shop for the 3rd morning in a row. The smog guy changed the o2 sensors with denso ($250 for two). He is telling me he heard some rattling noise inside the cat but he thinks the smog will pass now. So I'm just gonna go ahead and have him retest and just get it passed. Just want to get this over with already.

But the guy says he's not too sure what the problem is with the cat and it might not pass smog next time around. Does that sound right?

He says the engine is running too rich and burning lot of fuel. That could have damaged the cat right? It has 206k miles on it so far.
Not sure why you paid so much for the O2 sensors. Remember we had figured out a pair of aftermarket sensors would be just over $100 from oxygensensors.com?

If there is rattling inside the cat, this is exactly the problem that S2k have. But you can easily tell. With the O2 sensor out of the cat, you just stick you finger in the hole and press on the inner honeycomb and see if it moves around. If it does, then it's broken. He should also have looked at the 02 sensor that he pulled out. If the tip is dented or anything, that means the inner honeycomb was bumping against it.

All that being said, the rear 02 sensor does not in any way after drivability or engine performance or emissions. So, if it's damaged, there really isn't much need to replace it. The cat will still function properly as well even if it has the damage we've talked about. However, the rattling will get louder and louder till it drives you nuts.

You can replace the cat yourself. It's just 4 bolts. But, many times the bolts will be very difficult to get off.

I would also get a used cat if you decide to replace it, but it may break again of course. There are no CA legal cats that won't reduce performance as far as I know.

You didn't say if it's running rich before or after the upstream 02 sensor was replaced.
Old 12-06-2013, 06:33 AM

Originally Posted by davidc1
Not sure why you paid so much for the O2 sensors. Remember we had figured out a pair of aftermarket sensors would be just over 100 from oxygensensors.com? If there is rattling inside the cat, this is exactly the problem that S2k have. But you can easily tell. With the O2 sensor out of the cat, you just stick you finger in the hole and press on the inner honeycomb and see if it moves around. If it does, then it's broken. He should also have looked at the 02 sensor that he pulled out. If the tip is dented or anything, that means the inner honeycomb was bumping against it. All that being said, the rear 02 sensor does not in any way after drivability or engine performance or emissions. So, if it's damaged, there really isn't much need to replace it. The cat will still function properly as well even if it has the damage we've talked about. However, the rattling will get louder and louder till it drives you nuts. You can replace the cat yourself. It's just 4 bolts. But, many times the bolts will be very difficult to get off. I would also get a used cat if you decide to replace it, but it may break again of course. There are no CA legal cats that won't reduce performance as far as I know. You didn't say if it's running rich before or after the upstream 02 sensor was replaced.
Yeah the plan was to get the sensors myself from that website but my work being in garden grove and shop in Pasadena, I just wanted to get car smog passed so I can get to work. So my car is good for next two years now. In the meantime I'll get a used cat and try to replace it.
Thanks everyone for your inputs I learned a lot.

Anyone know a good s2000 shop in LA/OC area?
Old 12-06-2013, 07:16 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

Originally Posted by icecreamballer
Originally Posted by davidc1
Not sure why you paid so much for the O2 sensors. Remember we had figured out a pair of aftermarket sensors would be just over 100 from oxygensensors.com? If there is rattling inside the cat, this is exactly the problem that S2k have. But you can easily tell. With the O2 sensor out of the cat, you just stick you finger in the hole and press on the inner honeycomb and see if it moves around. If it does, then it's broken. He should also have looked at the 02 sensor that he pulled out. If the tip is dented or anything, that means the inner honeycomb was bumping against it. All that being said, the rear 02 sensor does not in any way after drivability or engine performance or emissions. So, if it's damaged, there really isn't much need to replace it. The cat will still function properly as well even if it has the damage we've talked about. However, the rattling will get louder and louder till it drives you nuts. You can replace the cat yourself. It's just 4 bolts. But, many times the bolts will be very difficult to get off. I would also get a used cat if you decide to replace it, but it may break again of course. There are no CA legal cats that won't reduce performance as far as I know. You didn't say if it's running rich before or after the upstream 02 sensor was replaced.
Yeah the plan was to get the sensors myself from that website but my work being in garden grove and shop in Pasadena, I just wanted to get car smog passed so I can get to work. So my car is good for next two years now. In the meantime I'll get a used cat and try to replace it.
Thanks everyone for your inputs I learned a lot.

Anyone know a good s2000 shop in LA/OC area?
Yes, I had mentioned Alex who owns Ballade Sports in Garden Grove. I've been going to him for years. Tell him Dave sent you. He's a sponsor of S2ki as well. He's open till 8pm, so you can pick your car up easily after work.

http://www.balladesports.com/
Old 12-06-2013, 08:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/106...nverter-texas/ heres a cat just incase you wanted to buy a new one.