S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP with Cat converter and smog

Old 11-30-2013, 11:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default HELP with Cat converter and smog

Hello everyone

My 02 s2k didn't pass smog due to function failure. P0420 is the code for CEL that has been on for a while now.
I shouldn't have taken it into smog check without getting that CEL checked out but I did.. and the emission passed but the function failed and DMV has the record now.
So now I have a very difficult decision to make because I don't want to spend any more money on this car which currently has 206k miles with engine oil burning problem. I put in 1~2 quart of mobile 1 every thousand miles or so. And the engine is started to feel little shaky now. so my options are as follows, and I would greatly appreciate your feedback. Thank you in advance

1. My mechanic tells me I need to replace the cat ($1000) and both O2 sensors ($300). so plus the labor, about $2000 to replace everything and pass the smog.

2. My smog technician thinks my cat is good because the emission results were very good. He says he has some spare 02 sensors in his shop so I can leave my car with him early morning, have him replace the sensors and drive it around and check. and if it turns out that the sensors are the problem that is sending the wrong data to the computer, then he can order aftermarket sensors and replace them for me (~$500 w. labor). If it turns out that it's not the sensor, then I don't pay him anything and just walk away and maybe go with option 1 and replace the entire thing.

3. Part out the s2k. I'm not sure how much money you can get out of it so maybe somebody here who's done it can tell me how that worked out. Since my car has salvage title (since 23k miles), and it doesn't pass smog, I don't think there will be any buyers for it. So it seems to me that the logical thing to do would be to part it out to get the most money out of it? and then I would have to go buy a used Civic or something.

4. I've been told that it's illegal to buy/sell used cat converter in CA. So could I go to Las Vegas or something and get cat replaced with a used one? and then come back to CA and retest and pass the test?

5. Just keep the S2K and registered as non driving and keep it around. and buy a used civic?

6. any suggestions?

Thank you in advance for your feedback, this is semi-urgent issue for me since my registration is due January with holidays coming up in December..

Thanks!
Old 11-30-2013, 01:00 PM

Check the classifieds here on s2ki. There is alway cat for sale . Usually for under $100. Our cat is metallic honey comb, so I doubt its the cat. Search on s2ki for that error code and you will find what you need to do to fix it . It is probably the o2 sensor.

Sent from my EVO using Tapatalk
Old 11-30-2013, 02:40 PM

Originally Posted by johnzal
Check the classifieds here on s2ki. There is alway cat for sale . Usually for under $100. Our cat is metallic honey comb, so I doubt its the cat. Search on s2ki for that error code and you will find what you need to do to fix it . It is probably the o2 sensor.

so it's unlikely that cat is the problem?
does $300-500 sound reasonable for o2 sensor replacement job?

I just don't want to spend much money on it because I'm not sure if the engine will last much longer because it's started to be shaky at idle..
Old 11-30-2013, 05:38 PM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

I am also a CA guy. Have had issues like this with a couple of cars.

If this is a smog check required for your registration renewal (every two years) you are eligible for $500 from the state. You need to apply for it, no income qualifiers, and you need to put $100 down first when you take it in. You have to pick a shop that is approved by the state for this. Anything above that is your nickel.

The restriction on not using used CATs is to discourage CAT theft. You can buy them online and have them delivered. Then install if you need to. I have a hunch its not the CATs. You really have to screw up the fuel and some other things to destroy a CAT. A bad O2 sensor can do it if run long enough. Too lean or too rich can cause damage. If you have been driving with a bad sensor for a long time, it may have screwed up the CAT but I would go for the O2 first.

Apply now as it takes several weeks to get the "card" from the state. In the meantime you should pay the reg fees so you don't have to pay a penalty and take a hit if you get stopped.

From the CAP website:

Smog Check Program

Consumer Assistance Program

The Consumer Assistance Program (CAP) offers two options to help California consumers whose vehicles fail their biennial (every other year) smog check.

Repair Assistance Qualified motorists can receive up to $500 in emissions-related repairs through CAP’s Repair Assistance Program.
Vehicle Retirement The Vehicle Retirement Program is available to motorists who want to voluntarily retire their vehicle rather than repair it. Eligible consumers can receive $1000 in exchange for their vehicle; Income eligible applicants will receive $1500.
Enforcement

BAR's Enforcement team investigates general auto repair complaints and ensures that shops comply with Smog Check statutes. Each year BAR handles more than 14,800 complaints relating to auto repair and/or Smog Check inspections. BAR staff checks out every complaint and negotiates with the shop on the consumer's behalf to achieve a mutual agreeable resolution. The bulk of complaints are resolved by mediation. Each year BAR returns over $6.3 million to California consumers in the form of direct refunds, rework, or adjustments.

Directed Vehicles

In order to comply with state law, the California Department of Consumer Affairs/Bureau of Automotive Repair (DCA/BAR) directs a portion of the vehicles registered in Enhanced Smog Check Areas to Test-Only or Gold Shield stations. Enhanced Areas are those parts of the state with "serious", "severe", or "extreme" ozone pollution problems. Test-Only facilities are licensed Smog Check stations that, by law, are only allowed sell gas caps or to test cars; they cannot repair them. Directed Vehicles may receive their initial inspections at Gold Shield stations. Any needed repairs must be performed at a Smog Check station designated either as a Test-Repair or Gold Shield station.Directed Vehicles
Old 11-30-2013, 08:54 PM

Did you use OB2 Scanner to see what sensor P0420 was throwing from Shucks, Oreillys, Autozone, Etc? Sensor 1 or Sensor 2? Most likely the one on the cat (sensor 2). Just go http://www.oxygensensors.com/catalog.php?&pkey=1430228 Order the $42.16 sensor. Spend MAYBE an hour MAX to jack up your car safely. Unplug the 02 sensor harness kind of above the transmission. Unbolt your o2 sensor which a wrench I forget what size. Screw it on, and plug up the harness. Reset your ECU, by pulling the fuse. Follow procedures to get your car to ready mode. And youre done. I gurantee you this is probably the easiest, less hassle way to handle this situation.

Worse comes to worse, find an OEM used CAT locally or on this site. Do the same steps but remove your cat which is only like 5 bolts? Sounds your mechanic is charging alot. If you were local Id get that done in a jiffy. Hope that helps.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:11 PM

cosmomiller,

Thanks for the info. I just read through all the documents and it looks in order to be eligible for the repair assistance program, my income must not exceed 225% of the federal poverty level. According to this website, http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/13poverty.cfm, the federal poverty level is $15,510 for household of two... and our income is definitely over 225% of that.. so it looks like I don't qualify for the repair assistance program...
Old 11-30-2013, 10:18 PM

Originally Posted by AP1GroceryGetter
Did you use OB2 Scanner to see what sensor P0420 was throwing from Shucks, Oreillys, Autozone, Etc? Sensor 1 or Sensor 2? Most likely the one on the cat (sensor 2). Just go http://www.oxygensensors.com/catalog.php?&pkey=1430228 Order the $42.16 sensor. Spend MAYBE an hour MAX to jack up your car safely. Unplug the 02 sensor harness kind of above the transmission. Unbolt your o2 sensor which a wrench I forget what size. Screw it on, and plug up the harness. Reset your ECU, by pulling the fuse. Follow procedures to get your car to ready mode. And youre done. I gurantee you this is probably the easiest, less hassle way to handle this situation.

Worse comes to worse, find an OEM used CAT locally or on this site. Do the same steps but remove your cat which is only like 5 bolts? Sounds your mechanic is charging alot. If you were local Id get that done in a jiffy. Hope that helps.
P0420 was scanned at the smog check station and it is for the cat converter. Smog check guy suspects that it's the o2 sensor, not sure which one but the emissions results did pass. So he believes that the cat is good.

I'm thinking about taking the car to him again and have him replace the o2 sensors that he has in his shop, let him drive it and test it to see if o2 sensor is the problem or not.. hopefully it is.. and he says he can order Denso sensors.. for about $250 for both sensors.
Old 11-30-2013, 10:21 PM

Originally Posted by AP1GroceryGetter

that website has the sensors pretty cheap. the post-cat one is a denso brand too.. maybe I'll buy that and just give it to the smog guys to replace my sensors.
Thanks for that info
Old 12-01-2013, 06:47 AM

Received 1,753 Likes on 1,045 Posts

Originally Posted by icecreamballer
cosmomiller,

Thanks for the info. I just read through all the documents and it looks in order to be eligible for the repair assistance program, my income must not exceed 225% of the federal poverty level. According to this website, http://aspe.hhs.gov/poverty/13poverty.cfm, the federal poverty level is $15,510 for household of two... and our income is definitely over 225% of that.. so it looks like I don't qualify for the repair assistance program...
Wow! I stand corrected. I have used this program for two cars for $1000 and it did not depend on income. I went and checked the application form and website and indeed it has changed and changed recently. Legislature must have fixed that. I am like you, my income is nowhere near what is required now for the $. I was amazed they had had the program set up for assistance w/o regard to income. I was getting ready to junk my old Ranger with 230K miles and get $1500 but no longer.
Old 12-01-2013, 07:24 AM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by icecreamballer
Originally Posted by johnzal' timestamp='1385848855' post='22901474

so it's unlikely that cat is the problem?
does $300-500 sound reasonable for o2 sensor replacement job?

I just don't want to spend much money on it because I'm not sure if the engine will last much longer because it's started to be shaky at idle..
No. not even close.

Just put the car up on jackstands, take them off and replace them. It'll take about 30 minutes max and save you a ton of money.

Quick Reply: HELP with Cat converter and smog