S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

help! car won't start, honda dealer can't diagnose

Old 08-01-2009, 08:35 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default help! car won't start, honda dealer can't diagnose

I just got finished taking my car back to stock. I previously had a turbo setup with AEM EMS installed. As soon as I was finished, I couldn't get the car to start. It turns over, but will not fire up. I checked for ignition, and its getting ignition. But it is NOT getting fuel. I checked the fuel pump fuse, and switched it out just in case. The immobilizer light was not coming on at first, but I unplugged the ecu and plugged it back in, and now it flashes non stop, even with no key in the ignition. There are no cel codes.

Here is what I switched out:
Soldered in the original fuel injector clips, checking to make sure each solder was solid, and heat shrink wrapped
Soldered in the factory map sensor, making sure each wire was correctly matched, soldered, and wrapped
I simply unclipped the ems, and reinstalled the original stock ecu

The battery is still located in the trunk. I didn't touch it. As far as anything else that it could be, I am at a total loss, so I took it to the Honda service dept here. They have had it for 2 days, and the best guess they have is the ECU or the wiring harness.

This same thing happened to me before when I had a ep3 civic si. I had to end up replacing the engine wiring harness ( about $300 for it, and was about $700 of labor).

My best guess is something is causing the immobilizer to freak out and not allow fuel. Additionally, there is an aftermarket "code alarm" brand alarm installed, but it never kept the car from starting when it was totally modded.

Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.
Old 08-01-2009, 08:59 AM

i just realized that where I had the injector resistor box wired in may be the problem. I simply cut the 4 wires that went into the resistor, and taped them off. The guy that installed the resistor for me originally says that the wires to the injectors would be interrupted if that was the case. Any input?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:46 PM

Wow sounds like a tuff issue. If a honda dealer cant seem to figure it out it must be a hard one to find. I dont think the resistor box is the issure as you should still have fuel pressure present. The resistor box is just to assist the fuel inj's function (thinking you must have peak and hold). So the Immob light flashes with the EMS and still when the orignal ECM is reinstalled?
Old 08-01-2009, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by Crisgo,Aug 1 2009, 01:46 PM
Wow sounds like a tuff issue. If a honda dealer cant seem to figure it out it must be a hard one to find. I dont think the resistor box is the issure as you should still have fuel pressure present. The resistor box is just to assist the fuel inj's function (thinking you must have peak and hold). So the Immob light flashes with the EMS and still when the orignal ECM is reinstalled?
No, I took the car back to stock. Stock ecu, map, and injectors
Old 08-02-2009, 10:39 AM

you need to reprogram the immobilizer to the ecu. and or replave the immobilizer, the black ring around the key hole and reprogram the keys
Old 08-04-2009, 11:12 AM

Originally Posted by Tech7427,Aug 2 2009, 10:39 AM
you need to reprogram the immobilizer to the ecu. and or replave the immobilizer, the black ring around the key hole and reprogram the keys
nope. its not that. it won't even communicate with the honda technicians computer. I believe I've got a short in the main engine wiring harness. I've ordered a new one, and I'll have to install it myself because they want 10.9 hours of labor to install it! If its not that, I think the ECU could have something wrong, in which case I'll find one on here and have them reprogram at the dealership
Old 08-04-2009, 03:13 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

I guarantee whatever the problem is was caused by your previous install and removal work.
Old 08-04-2009, 05:44 PM

Originally Posted by Slows2k,Aug 4 2009, 03:13 PM
I guarantee whatever the problem is was caused by your previous install and removal work.
you think?
Old 08-04-2009, 05:49 PM
Former Moderator
Former Moderator

Received 352 Likes on 321 Posts

Old 08-04-2009, 05:50 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ECU Pirate,Aug 4 2009, 05:44 PM
you think?
thats what you get for going back to stock!!! how you liking NC?... I should be out there soon. Sorry cant help with your problems.

Quick Reply: help! car won't start, honda dealer can't diagnose