S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

HELP: Car vibrates really bad..

Old 06-07-2014, 10:46 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

When did this start to happen?

Old 06-07-2014, 10:47 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by SpitfireS
When did this start to happen?
It happened at my first track day after getting the clutch installed.
Old 06-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by vstypicals
Originally Posted by slalom44' timestamp='1402102219' post='23193536
Did you have the flywheel machined or replaced when you had your clutch done? If so, did you do it or was it done by someone else?
I had the flywheel replaced with a brand new Ballade Sports lightened flywhee along with the Ballade Sports NA Clutch Kit (http://www.balladesports.com/product...000-clutch-kit). All work done by Ballade Sports.

Originally Posted by Slowcrash_101
Either that or you have some crankshaft end play.
I hope its the former..

If a misfire makes the engine shake it would also produce a CEL, IMO.
What kind of clutch was installed?
What disk, FW, PP?
Any weird clutch engagement lately?
What I mean is, when the clutch grabs does it feel different than right after the install?
If so, could mean small clutch friction parts have broken away = unbalance.

I had the flywheel replaced with a brand new Ballade Sports lightened flywhee along with the Ballade Sports NA Clutch Kit (http://www.balladesports.com/product...000-clutch-kit). All work done by Ballade Sports.

I don't know any weird clutch engagement. It seems to engage/disengagement and shift fine.
Vibration like you described usually is from the engines rotating assembly being off balanced. I'm sure you probably drove the car easy for the first 1000 miles to break in your clutch. Now that you probably got on it, something might have been shaken loose with the clutch assembly or it may not have been balanced correctly. I wouldn't drive it untilll you really find out what's really going on with your engine. If something with the rotating assembly is off, it could damage your main bearings the more you drive it.
Old 06-08-2014, 02:47 AM

Received 21 Likes on 16 Posts

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...thoughts-here/

In this thread they mention the rubber stop on the front subframe (or in that area) touching the engine causing vibration.

Worth looking into IMO.

Old 08-12-2014, 08:31 AM

Received 53 Likes on 50 Posts

update?
Old 09-03-2014, 09:40 AM

https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...thoughts-here/

In this thread they mention the rubber stop on the front subframe (or in that area) touching the engine causing vibration.

Worth looking into IMO.

Checked the rubber stop and it was about 4-5mm clear.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:53 AM

Received 1,438 Likes on 1,071 Posts

Originally Posted by B0neSt0ck
Vibration like you described usually is from the engines rotating assembly being off balanced. I'm sure you probably drove the car easy for the first 1000 miles to break in your clutch. Now that you probably got on it, something might have been shaken loose with the clutch assembly or it may not have been balanced correctly. I wouldn't drive it untilll you really find out what's really going on with your engine. If something with the rotating assembly is off, it could damage your main bearings the more you drive it.
This.
Old 09-03-2014, 09:55 AM

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
This.
Another member had a similar issue and was fixed by replacing his transmission?
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...#entry23314178
Old 09-03-2014, 11:08 AM
Community Organizer

Received 554 Likes on 506 Posts

Not sure, but I do know that 15% leak down is high. Under 10% is ok, but should be under 6%. Not saying replace the engine, all your comp numbers are great and if your not using any oil you more then likely have either a couple sticking valves on those cylinders or the valves may be slightly bent, either way preventing them from seating fully. Could they determine where the leak indeed was coming from, such as bottom end (front valve cover breather air escape) or top end ie intake or header air escape (valves)...?
Old 09-04-2014, 07:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by vstypicals
Originally Posted by Car Analogy' timestamp='1409766791' post='23314191
This.
Another member had a similar issue and was fixed by replacing his transmission?
https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/108...#entry23314178
But they could have also replaced the flywheel and/or clutch assembly at the same time.

Park the car, pop the hood and rev the car manually via throttle body and record it.

Quick Reply: HELP: Car vibrates really bad..