S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help! C/F Hood installation.....cant lock

Old 02-14-2003, 07:20 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

...and yet another imitation hood that doesn't quite "fit" the bill.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:39 AM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by Russ
...and yet another imitation hood that doesn't quite "fit" the bill.
Sorry but probably not true. I haven't met an owner yet of the J's hood who hasn't had some sort of problem. It takes patience and time to adjust the hood properly. Even if you bought an OEM hood you would need to adjust it somewhat. Here is the key that most people don't do. There are a total of 4 bolts on each of the brackets that connects the hood to the car. Two attach the hood to the bracket, the other two attach the bracket to the car. Everyone only adjusts the 2 bolts that attach the bracket to the hood. Reason being one of the two bolts on the other end is hard to reach. You need to make the effort to take off the plastic piece on the windshield to get to that bolt so that you can move the bracket left-right and/or up down. This will help you in getting the extra little space you need for a proper fit.

Some other tips,

If you look at w1ngman's pic you can see 4 black rubber stoppers. Guess what folks those are adjustable as well. You can turn those to make one side higher/lower.

Now about the latch, the latch can be adjusted with the bolts that it is attached with. You can get a lot of play out of those bolts. I think you are experiencing the same problems I have though. The latch is not hitting the opening correctly. As you close the hood push the latch inward toward the windshield. Mine kept hitting the metal bracket and not the opening.
Old 02-14-2003, 07:45 AM

Old 02-14-2003, 11:17 AM

Wells......I've played with the bolts that attach the hood to the brackets, but not the bolts on the hood brackets that connect to the car. Ill try those also....Ive played with the latch alot, and it looks like it can ALMOST lock down completely, but is just a little too short. Ill have to try the brackets -> car bolts to see if that can help. I tried totally removing the two rubber stoppers at the front...that didnt help either. Thanks everyone. Ill let you know if i get it on, otherwise i may still be looking for help/advice.
Old 02-14-2003, 12:33 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Curious to ask one more question to you...

You're not dropping the CF hood to get it to latch (like we do with the OEM aluminum hood) are you??? You *don't* want to do that...at least as I've been taught. You want to *set* the CF hood gently into the latching mechanism. Then press firmly with your hand...central to the mount-point of the latch/hook until it clicks into a latched position.

Sorry if I'm checking something you are already fully aware of...just good info if you aren't aware of this.

- Dave
Old 02-14-2003, 03:28 PM

Received 789 Likes on 477 Posts

This is a good info thread about hood replacements (and how to close a CF hood -w1ngbanana)
good luck north9586!
Old 02-14-2003, 03:40 PM
Former Moderator

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh god I hope he knows that just dropping it won't close the hood and that you need to push down at the latch. If that was his problem, I am driving down to MD and taking his hood away from him.
Old 02-14-2003, 04:53 PM

LOL! And I would gladly give it to you if that was my problem. Actually....at this point I almost wish that was my problem so I could give a quick "DOH!" and get it to lock. Still havent had time to mess with brackets that attach to car, ill try that, otherwise..im lost. it looks like it may be hood pins for me, but i dont wanna so im gonna see if i can get it to work. THanks
Old 02-14-2003, 05:26 PM

Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by north9586
...it looks like it may be hood pins for me...
Hey...no reason to knock hoodpins! I certainly am sorry you are having difficulty with the latch mechanism, but I can say that even with a functioning latch (not meaning to rub it in ), I appreciate the added confidence that my hood won't fly off hitting 140+ mph

Old 02-14-2003, 07:29 PM

Oh, Im not knocking hood pins in the least, I just didnt want to pay the extra $$$ and drill the c/f...i mean its so pretty. Good point about the speed and pins though. Looking at yours, they flow well. What kind are they? And if I get hood pins, will it even matter that the hood wont lock? Thanks

Quick Reply: Help! C/F Hood installation.....cant lock