S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help on buying a used crankshaft

Old 06-05-2009, 05:51 AM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Help on buying a used crankshaft

Hello,

I bought some build engine parts from a German guy. Below are the parts to fully build a bulletproof engine

Now i want to buy the rest of his engine like crankshaft etc. My main worry is if the crankshaft is in good condition. He said he didn't blow up his engine just wanted to fully built it and his crankshaft is modified for ACL bearings. My questions?

1) Does this means i cannot use OEM bearings with this crankshaft?
2) Is there any chance the crankshaft was damaged and he had to do this ACL bearings mofification?

Please help as i am in the process of buying the rest of his engine and my mechanic wants to fit OEM bearings and also worries if his engine spun bearing and the crankshaft was damaged

I will appreciate your replies
Chris
Old 06-06-2009, 07:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

1) Does this means i cannot use OEM bearings with this crankshaft?

being that the crankshaft is used... u might want to measure for warpage/out of round on your main journals & rod journals. as for the bearing, shouldnt be a problem with getting different bearings as long as you match the specs...

make sure to check for cracks... stand it up n hit it lightly with hammer at the tip... if u hear ringing then there might be cracks... if its one solid sound ur all good

2) Is there any chance the crankshaft was damaged and he had to do this ACL bearings mofification?

its possible that he might have damaged the main journals and had it sent in to get it refinished... and this also could be why he chose aftermarket bearings.

just make sure to measure your main journal taper/out of round on your block and get the correct size bearings to accomodate your crank journals.
Old 06-06-2009, 07:27 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

He's not doing the work...
Old 06-06-2009, 10:57 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I hear OEM bearings are very reliable and solid...
Old 06-08-2009, 10:30 PM
Community Organizer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I was away for the weekend. Just saw your responses.Thank you very much for your replies