S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Help with a bent soft top

Old 05-02-2010, 02:58 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help with a bent soft top

I bought a soft top last weekend from a board member that I will leave unnamed for now (until I give him a chance to explain) and had board member nichigo try to install it. Nichigo worked long and hard to get it installed (Nichigo is a great guy, and I'd definitely recommend him), but apparently the soft top was damaged to begin with.

As you can see from these pictures, the portion of the soft top that attaches to the windshield is crooked, which appears to be caused from the plastic piece under it being bent:

As a result, I can't close the soft top up properly. Does anyone have any ideas on the best way I can fix this? Can I take the plastic piece from my old soft top (with plastic window) and use it to replace the plastic piece on this replacement soft top (with glass window)? Or can I just take it to a body shop to have them straighten the plastic piece out? Any help and suggestions on the easiest fix would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:20 PM
Banned

The plastic piece you are talking about should be the same between both tops. I'd say try what you suggested. Use the plastic from your old top and see if it fixes this issue.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:23 PM

Thanks for the reply Capo. Since I'm going to have to pay a body shop to do it, are you pretty confident that that's the problem? As you can see from the pictures, the other frame bows/bars in the top seem to align properly, which is why I'm guessing it's the final plastic piece, but I wanted to see if it could possibly be anything else before I take it to a body shop.
Old 05-02-2010, 06:28 PM
Banned

^^ I cant be 100% confident without seeing it in person. But I recomend you check the frame rods on the window door top side. They should be the same between left and right. Its possible that one of these may be bent. If this is the case, you will be able to tell by checking the other side.

If you do end up taking it to a body shop, have them show you were the problem is BEFORE they start any kind of work. Just get an inspection and estimate. Maybe its something you can still fix yourself. Let them do the dirty work of finding were the problem is.